Complete fish fanatic now! EDIT - New Pics! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Complete fish fanatic now! EDIT - New Pics!

Over the Memorial Day weekend hubby was in a wedding in Bismarck. While there, I just haaaad to go to PetSmart since we don't have one here. I bought 2 more platys (bringing me to a total of 6) and a snail.

Knowing I was pushing the limits of the 10-gallon tank I talked Ken into letting me buy and set up a 29-gallon. As of Monday morning I moved the 6 platys to the new tank and left the snail and the corydoras in the 10-gallon until the 29-gallon is done cycling.

Much to my shock and amazement, as I was cleaning out the 10-gallon a bit I noticed 4 platy babies! I originally noticed 1 a few days prior to that but had lost it just as quickly as I discovered it so I thought it was a goner. Guess not! It survived along with 3 of its siblings. I'm waiting to transfer them over to the 29-gallon tank after they've grown a little more. I'm kind of afraid if I tried moving them now I may hurt them with the net.

I tried so hard to get pictures of the babies but either my camera skills leave something to be desired or my camera isn't that good (or a combination of the two! ) I just can't focus in on them enough. Every time I tried to get close the rest of the picture (gravel in the tank) became extremely blurry. The first thing I noticed when the babies were big enough to get some color was that they're all orangish-yellow with black fins. Do all baby platys look like that and change coloring as they get bigger or does this mean I'll have 4 that look very much alike?

It's fun watching them at feeding time. When I sprinkle food in the tank the cory along with the 4 babies come out of hiding to munch a little. If the cory gets a little too close for comfort they dart off pretty quickly. That's amazing instinct!

I did manage to get a few nice pictures of the 29-gallon setup but I'll have to wait until I'm logged out of my work computer to be able to post those.

Once everybody in the 10-gallon tank has been moved over to the 29, I'm moving the 2 goldfish into the 10. That will give them yet so more room. They seem to be doing great lately as well!

It's exciting to be a fish grandma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Premier Cat

The platy babies sound cute! How providential that you found them before clearing out the tank completely, too.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
The platy babies sound cute! How providential that you found them before clearing out the tank completely, too.
Oh, I was cleaning it out completely, just doing a weekly water change. The goldfish are going in there as soon as everybody else moves over to the bigger tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I could have predicted this! Isn't it fun to have baby fish? Yellow platys are the most common. They'll stay the same color. Congratulations, Jo. It's a great hobby!

You have room for quite a few fish now, Jo!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Congratulations, Jo. It's a great hobby!

You have room for quite a few fish now, Jo!
Yeah, I know. My biggest concern, though, is how well platys are able to "be fruitful and multiply!" The lady at the pet store said they would take them for store credit but knowing how crazed I've been about this lately I can see myself having a hard time giving them away.

I've found that I enjoy the platys so much (especially the variety of color options) that at least for now I'm happy with just sticking to them and not getting any different kinds of fish.

Another thing I find weird about this habit is that platys are nearly a dime a dozen but I've spent countless dollars in setup for them in a mere 5 weeks! I can't even say that our stimulus check paid for any of this. This was completely taken out of my own earnings. Between daycare and fish, I barely have anything left to myself this past month!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Premier Cat

I paid for almost everything by trading fish for other products. Of course, I raise thousands of angelfish. I told you...I can't be trusted to get enough a small aquarium, but I'm getting more and more tempted. Let's see...If I had only one 55 gallon tank and one breeding tank......SOMEBODY STOP ME!

Your platys will eventually become all the same color, as they will breed with any males in the aquarium. You'll fall in love with another type, without a doubt! I like platys too, though. If you leave your babies in the 10 gallon, they will breed true...until they get into the larger aquarium.

Wait until you learn about mouthbrooders! Heaven help you....

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Your platys will eventually become all the same color, as they will breed with any males in the aquarium. You'll fall in love with another type, without a doubt! I like platys too, though. If you leave your babies in the 10 gallon, they will breed true...until they get into the larger aquarium.
Are you serious? Eventually I will dilute my favorites, such as the red wagtail female and the rainbow platy? I'll have to talk with Ken about this. Maybe what I need to do is keep about a half dozen 10 gallon tanks with just 1 male and 2 females in each, 1 color per tank! Excuse me for a moment - I'm getting a call from Ken's divorce lawyer. I can hear it now - "It's either me or the fish!"

I have gotten him to agree with me that the 29-gallon tank is definitely quite the conversation piece to have in the living room but I'd have to start getting rid of "essential" furniture to put anything else in here.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Premier Cat

After a special platy drops her fry, and I mean almost immediately, put her and a male of that color into your ten gallon tank, changing the water in the bag gradually, just as you do for a new fish. He'll breed with her, and you will have that color again.

I could appear in your defense, if Ken's lawyer calls! It's like the "Twinkie" syndrome. You can't help yourself.

PS Save all of your bags from the aquariium center!

Jeanie

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Premier Cat

I need help. What does a "platy" look like? I am imagining a plecosthumus(sp?) and I know it must be wrong (platy vs pleco, and it can't be a platypus) but it (pleco) is the only picture in my mind I can see.
Off to Google...

My Mom loved Angel Fish. She had one that grew enormous. I remember it being close to 12" from tip of top fin to the tip of one of the lower fins. A beautiful velvety black color, though we had some that were tiger striped (silver/black), too.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Here's a good site for platy pics -

http://www.animal-image.com/FreshwaterF ... /index.php

Platys are considered by most to be a starter fish. When I first began the hobby a little over a month ago I saw all the varying colors and totally loved them! So far I've seen (in-store) at least a dozen or so different color variations.

I was told by someone at the store (don't know if it's true or not) that platys and mollies are loosely related so actually look alike in some aspects. With the reading I've done on mollies, they seem to be a little more particular about the their environment so I don't want to venture into that quite yet. The platys suit me just fine.

An aunt of my has had the same plecostymus for over 19 years. I don't think they're very much to look at but my aunt claims they're wonderful and has been trying to talk me into getting one. So far I really like the corydoras catfish we have as I want to keep fish that will stay on the smaller end of the scale and corys average anywhere from 2-1/2 to 4 inches full grown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page