Sarcastic joke gone bad... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sarcastic joke gone bad...

In the car this morning the DJ was doing news, etc., and told a story of a woman in Pennsylvania who wasn't very pleased with her internet/cable and phone service provider bill (Comcast) so she wrote them a check and on the $$ amount line she wrote "My Right Arm."

The employees at Comcast thought it was funny and started passing it around through e-mail at work. That e-mail eventually made it of out OUT of the office and into PCs everywhere.

However, when the employee at Comcast responsible for starting the email sent it out, he or she forgot to black out any and all personal information contained on the check so countless people around the country and, who knows, maybe even world, know this lady's name, address, phone number and bank information.

She had no idea any of this had been going on until someone in Colorado called her to say she had received an email with her personal info!

I would be so perturbed, to say the least. I mean, yeah, maybe she shouldn't have written a check like that but I'll bet it's the not the first time that joke has been played. IMO, responsibility completely lies in the hands of the people at Comcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Premier Cat

Comcast should be running to help her protect her info. I bet she'd have a great lawsuit if she becomes a victim of identity theft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Premier Cat

They already beat me to it.
http://<br /> <a href="http://www.p...45-100.stm</a>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
I honestly don't blame the woman for suing. I mean it's one thing if the worker who initially got the check called his little worker friends over to look at it and have a laugh, but to email it all over the company was very irresponsible.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Comcast employees probably had to sign some sort of papers saying they would keep personal information (such as what comes on a check) confidential. Therefore, they breeched that by sending out of the company and I don't blame the woman for suing one bit.

Now she doesn't have to give up her right arm to pay the bill! Her settlement should be plenty!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Cool Cat

Wow! I saw the headline for that article but didn't read it. Talk about a breach...wow...I bet some employees won't be employees much longer...

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I hope so too. That woman's identity could easily be stolen.

When Comcast charged me too much, I quit them. And I just switched from Dish to Direct TV for the same reason. I'm glad I did it over the phone.

I'd like to quit the electric and gas companies too. Anyone know who has the best price on windmills? Seriously, I wish I could afford solar power for everything. That's what I would choose.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Premier Cat

I would so do solar power if I could. I have the perfect house for it.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Sarcastic joke gone bad...

Oh my gosh, that is terrible!
I work for Comcast myself, I'm an executive analyst, I can't believe it!!
Our customers is what keeps us in business, they are the ones who pretty much sign our paychecks, they should always come first!!
This makes me very sad. Did you say the worker was from Colorado??

Maria
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Cat Addict

We do have a few privacy law forms, among work emails that can not be forwarded to our personal email addresses..

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page