Another gas hike! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Another gas hike!

Oh my word! This is going to sound so old fashioned and cliche but I never thought I would see the day.

Over the weekend our local gas prices went up to $4.04 for regular, $4.11 for premium and I didn't even bother to pay attention to the price of the better quality gasoline.

One thing I thought of when I saw this is thank the good Lord I work from home! My car barely gets driven; on average, about 40 miles a month. I honestly don't know what I would do, or we would do as a family, if we lived in a more metro area with a longer drive to and from work and longer distances to just about anything we need. I'm thankfully 5 minutes from the mall, 2 blocks from a grocery store, maybe 8 minutes to church and Ken is about 5 minutes from work. The longest either of us have to drive in a day is about 10 miles to drop the kids off at daycare on the other end of town.

Ken and I were just talking yesterday about how when I began driving 18 years ago gas was at just a little over $1 a gallon; $1.09 seems to stick in my mind. Even just 3 years ago when our kids were born it was $1.89 and I can remember everybody having a cow over the prices then. In just 3 years the price of gas has gone up over 200%.

How are things where you're at?

Edited misspelled word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I know, I'm very thankful that I'm working at home now. I put gas in my car on April 1, May 10 & June 7. But I don't think I'll make it to July this time as I went somewhere on Sat that was a little over a 100 miles round trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned

Still half the price of the UK (if my maths is right..)

1 US gallon is about 3.7 Litres. Here it's about 1.20/L So that's £4.44 per US gal.

So that's 8.77 USD....

That can't be right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

My cheap little ghetto gas station went up $.50/gallon in three weeks! I'm sure when I leave my house today, it'll be at LEAST $4.59.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Cat Addict

...Our cheapest is $4.35, most of them are $4.40's, $4.50s...

I am trying not to exceed 60 to 62 miles per hour on the freeway to improve mileage, although everyone else is going 70+ around me!

Fran
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Still half the price of the UK (if my maths is right..)

1 US gallon is about 3.7 Litres. Here it's about 1.20/L So that's £4.44 per US gal.

So that's 8.77 USD....

That can't be right...
I bet it is. People in the UK would give their right arm for US gas prices. Theres absolutely no excuse for us paying so much - we just have a extremely greedy government taxing us to the eyeballs.

But of course its all relative. If anything you depend on (like gas in the car) suddenly starts increasing rapidly in price, its going to hit hard, regardless of how much it costs compared to other countries.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge

So that's 8.77 USD....

That can't be right...
I saw your post and my eyes bulged out, so I wanted to check the math myself.

1 US gallon = 3.78 liters. At $1.20 Euros per liter translates $4.54116 Euros or $7.107 US dollars per US gallon. Not that it's any of my business but I sure hope that Britains are making more $ per hour comparatively than we do in the US to offset some of the cost of gasoline.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
People in the UK would give their right arm for US gas prices.
As long as they don't put that in writing.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Willow771
hey.....right now we're paying roughly $5.80 per US Gallon for REGULAR lol its evil what they are doing to us. especially living in Vancouver where you burn so much gas stopping and starting in traffic
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
People in the UK would give their right arm for US gas prices.
As long as they don't put that in writing.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page