Good waterpark to visit in the midwest? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Good waterpark to visit in the midwest?

I'll be doing a bit of travelling this summer through the midwest with family and friends, stopping to visit others along the way. The adults in our group promised the kids that we would visit a waterpark somewhere between Wisconsin and Ohio. We'll be driving along I-90 east until Chicago, then I-80.

Not to sound curmudgeonly, but I don't care for amusement parks or typical tourist attractions. I hate crowds, overpriced t-shirt hawkers, and waiting in line (yes, I know ...we are going to a waterpark after all). I'd like to find someplace that's not too crazy, appeals to all ages (including slighty surly teens ), and doesn't focus on thrill-rides.

I looked into Wisconsin Dells, but I get the sense that it's packed with people in the summer. The hotels that have their own guest-only parks sound great, except for the prices

Can anyone recommend a park that they visited and liked?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to HersheysKiss
I don't know how much you are looking to spend but my family usually takes a trip to the Wilderness resort in the WI dells. It is one of the resorts that has its own water parks. It has fun for the whole family. It has multiple indoor and outdoor water parks with different levels of slides and tube rides. If there are multiple families with you look in to their condos and cabins. Most have a few bedrooms so you could split the cost. Not only that, they have full kitchens so you could go grocery shopping and cook your own food instead of going out. They also have a huge arcade and indoor playground for the younger crowd. They also have a nice golf course(I have been told since I don't golf) I have been there during the busy summer time and I never felt overwhelmed by the crowds at the Wilderness. There are so many different waterparks(indoor and out) that everyone is really well spread out.

Yes the Dells can be crowded in the summer but if you stay there you really don't have to leave since everything is right on the grounds and they have shuttles to take you places. I would highly recommend it!

I know in Waukesha there is also the Country Springs Inn. They have an indoor waterpark. It is much smaller than anything at the dells and more expensive from what I have seen.

PS...if you go to the Dells you have to go to Paul Bunyans Log Shanty for breakfast. Its a family style breakfast in an old logging shack. Their doughnuts are to die for. There usually is a line to get in but it is worth it!

Vanessa

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him. - Dereke Bruce
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Premier Cat

Is the Wilderness Resort one of the cheapest ones?

I also heard that there are price specials on Mondays.

Even though I live in WI, I have never been to these.
My kids are old enough to go soon.
I am going to start price shopping.
I also want a place that has everything in one place.
Dont like large crowds either......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You are all making me so envious!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Premier Cat

Oh yes and we will need those rooms that have mini kitchens in them.
So we can make all of our own food.

I heard that the buffet's are like $18 per person

I think we can survive on PBJ's and lunch meat.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheysKiss
I don't know how much you are looking to spend but my family usually takes a trip to the Wilderness resort in the WI dells. It is one of the resorts that has its own water parks. It has fun for the whole family. It has multiple indoor and outdoor water parks with different levels of slides and tube rides. If there are multiple families with you look in to their condos and cabins. Most have a few bedrooms so you could split the cost. Not only that, they have full kitchens so you could go grocery shopping and cook your own food instead of going out. They also have a huge arcade and indoor playground for the younger crowd. They also have a nice golf course(I have been told since I don't golf) I have been there during the busy summer time and I never felt overwhelmed by the crowds at the Wilderness. There are so many different waterparks(indoor and out) that everyone is really well spread out.

Yes the Dells can be crowded in the summer but if you stay there you really don't have to leave since everything is right on the grounds and they have shuttles to take you places. I would highly recommend it!

I know in Waukesha there is also the Country Springs Inn. They have an indoor waterpark. It is much smaller than anything at the dells and more expensive from what I have seen.

PS...if you go to the Dells you have to go to Paul Bunyans Log Shanty for breakfast. Its a family style breakfast in an old logging shack. Their doughnuts are to die for. There usually is a line to get in but it is worth it!
Thanks The Wilderness was the one I liked best of all the ones I've looked at. Kalahari was very pricey, and I heard mixed reviews of Great Wolf. If we end up staying at a resort, that will probably be the one. Your good review is another point in their favor

I love a good breakfast, so I will definitely put Paul Bunyan's on our list of possible stops. Thanks for mentioning it!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Cool Cat

Wow, why haven't I head of the whole Wisconsin Dells thing before?

I may have to take a trip out there next summer. It's not TOO far from Iowa for a road trip, I have family more-or-less in the area (in Appleton and, I think, Portage) and I *LOVE* waterparks!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Cat Addict

Nothing compares to the Dells. GO THERE!

(Though I understand they're awfully flooded right now. Hopefully they bounce back well.)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to HersheysKiss
Yes the Dells were hit hard by the rain. Lake Delton, a man made lake, broke through its banks and returned to the WI river so the lake is now empty but they are going to rebuild. All of the resorts are still open and doing fine. I don't know how downtown Dells is holding up though. I know I said you really never need to leave the Wilderness resort but there are a lot of other neat things to see in the Dells. My DH and I honeymooned there. There is a small main street that has your typical tourist trap places but there is an old fashioned candy store and other shops. A neat place to walk in the evening. There are some really nice mini golf places. There is the deer park which you can walk through and feed numerous kinds of deer and other animals.

One thing that is really cool is the Duck tours. No you aren't looking at ducks. They are amphibious military vehicles from WWII that they use to take you on tours of the local wonders....The Dells! You ride throught the woods and on the river. It is very beautiful! I know one part of the tour was splashing into Lake Delton but I don't know how the tour is affected by the flooding.

ETA: I will admit the wilderness is not cheap but they do have different levels of rooms and acomodations for different price levels but if you think about the fact that you don't have to pay for admission for every member of your family to a water theme park, it is worth it. You get wrist bands every morning for the water parks included in the price of your room. I believe most of the rooms with the kitchen would be the condos or the cabins. Here is their site http://www.wildernessresort.com/ .

Vanessa

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him. - Dereke Bruce
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheysKiss
Yes the Dells were hit hard by the rain. Lake Delton, a man made lake, broke through its banks and returned to the WI river so the lake is now empty but they are going to rebuild.
OMG. You're not kidding.

http://www2.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=760060

I went looking and was positively shocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page