Dishwasher Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Dishwasher Help!

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher that we bought about 5 yrs. ago that has a gawd-awful odor when the dishes are clean. All glass or ceramic has an off odor. My husband says it reminds him of fish. I literally have to air out the glass tumblers, coffee mugs, etc. for a couple of days before I put them in the cupboard. Plastic doesn't have an odor, nor stainless steel.

I use the little Cascade power squares that include the Dawn dishwashing liquid, Jet Dry in the dispenser. I found Peko lemon deodorizers, but they haven't helped. I've sprinkled baking soda, actually dumped half a box in there and ran a rinse cycle thinking it would at least cut the odor for a short time, to no avail. Oh and I've used the dishwasher deodorizer powder that you can buy at the grocery store in one-time use packets. There is no food (that I can see, anyway) on the floor of the dishwasher. The machine is new enough where it grinds up any leftover food and sends it down the drain. Our water is softened and and has a high lime content.

I don't put the cat dishes in the dishwasher, they are washed separately, because I thought that's where the odor was originating, but it's been long enough where, had it been their dishes, it would have rectified itself by now.

Any ideas? Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Have you tried pouring some bleach into the dishwasher?

Have you or your husband been able to disassemble the dishwasher to see if there is not anything stuck in the drainage system that may not have been ground up and/or flushed out?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Premier Cat

The dishwasher repairman that fixed my sis dishwasher said non liquid soaps build up in the drain part like Donald said. He clean it out cuz there was all sorts of junk stuck down there. He said to use the liquid type soap and not as much as they say on the bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That would be terrible! I hope you get the problem solved.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Premier Cat

I hope you can get your dishwasher working. Fingers & paws crossed.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldjr1969
Have you tried pouring some bleach into the dishwasher?

Have you or your husband been able to disassemble the dishwasher to see if there is not anything stuck in the drainage system that may not have been ground up and/or flushed out?
Never thought of bleach. Aren't most detergents ammonia-based? Short of doing some serious investigation, I'd be really leery about pouring bleach down a drain that has any kind of ammonia residue.

Haven't disassembled the dishwasher either. It's a built-in. About the closest I can get to it is a drain pipe going through a cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
non liquid soaps build up in the drain part ... He said to use the liquid type soap and not as much as they say on the bottle.
I'll try that this weekend. I've always used the little power squares because they're handy.

... have to remember to add the liquid dishwasher detergent to the grocery list ...

Thanks so much for your suggestions!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Premier Cat

There are usually a few screws down each side that hold the dishwasher onto the cabinets. If you undo those you can slide and 'walk' the dishwasher out to work on it.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Cool Cat

Junk can also collect in the bottom of the dishwasher. There is usually a strainer-type thing that you can pull out and clean.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Premier Cat

If you pull out the bottom tray you can disassemble the screens that lead to the drain from there. You will have to chip away at any hardened dishwasher soap that has caked on the drain area. Give that a try.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Willow771
or when in doubt, do a wash with tang in the detergent holders, empty load of course. the citrus breaks through any residue and leaves it smelling great. old trick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page