Update with Photos - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Update with Photos

Just thought I’d give an update. It’s been a long while since I have been on here, finally had time last night to post a bit. Hope all is well with everyone.

College ended in May and I passed all 3 of my classes. Both of my Nubian does kidded in May also. Hannah kidded with 3 doelings, all have been sold. Delilah kidded with twins, buck and a doe. I currently still have both of them. Also bought a Nubian buckling for my herd sire in April. He’s getting so big. Yesterday I weighed him and he’s 42lbs at only 10 weeks old.

This is Milo the buckling-

I take care of horses for a person while she’s away working and one of the fillies went down. The baby was only 2 weeks old, wasn’t able to use her hind end very well or stand up. I brought her home with me and tried my best with her. I got her taking a bottle well. I had my vet come out and do a check up on her and he said her chances of living were very slim. I had her for almost 2 weeks. She started to go down hill, quit eating and then acted like she was in pain so my brother put her down. It’s heart breaking she didn’t live but she’s no longer suffering. She’s out running the green pastures.

Here is the baby.

After taking on the filly I didn’t think we’d get out to any goat shows around the state but we are going to one that is in Kendallville Indiana on July 13th. I’m taking my two milkers and a dry doe to show. I am excited. I was really thrilled with Delilah’s udder, so hopefully she’ll show well.

Here are my girls.
Delilah- 2yr old first freshener

Hannah- 4yr with 3 freshenings.

Georgia- 1 yr old dry doe.

I sold one of my horses and ended up getting a miniature horse. Bandit is a 3yr old gelding. He is definitely under weight to so we are working on getting his weight back and doing the basic ground work with him. I love the little guy.

This is Bandit.

This is Dandy. (11-12 yr old paint gelding, I had the equine dentist check his age for me.)

This is Trouble. (4yr old green broke mare)

Me milking Delilah

The bottle brats eating- 3 of them have been sold.

So there is the update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry about the little one. I know you took great care of her.

I love all the pics of all of your animals, and you look cute milking the goat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
What lovely animals! I'm so sorry about the foal. That must have been very hard for you.

Congratulations on passing your classes!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Premier Cat

Your animal family are very cute. The little colt story broke my heart. Did the vet know what was wrong? That had to be hard to go thru.

This little guy is happy and adorable looking.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Premier Cat

Milo is adorable! And I'm very sorry for your loss of the filly! Losing an animal is hard!

I have minis too.......love your little guy! Will you train him to pull a cart do you think?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thankyou everyone!

It was hard to lose the filly and even harder to decide to put her down. The vet that seen her first when she was still with her other owners said she probably got hurt and should be put down, btw, she came to hat conclusion by standing about 5-6feet back and looking at the foal. That day, that baby was fighting for her life. You could see the fight in her eyes.
I brought her home the next day when she quit eating from the mother which was on a sunday. Holiday was monday. My niece and I worked with her around the clock for several days. By Monday afternoon I had her eating out of a bottle, actually sucking on it and nursing like she's suppose to. I called my vet and made an appointment. He came out and felt her back, hips, legs ect ect and moved them around. He said her problem was in the back and brain. Her brain didn't know her back legs were crossed so there for she couldn't uncross them since she didn't know they were crossed.

She kept eating and fighting to live so I said we aren't giving up yet. I provided around the clock care for her for almost 2 weeks. She was 2 weeks old when I got her. When she was approx 3 1/2 weeks she quit eating. Just up and quit. I thought maybe she was just worn out from being up in a sling. When we got her in one that baby kicked her front feet around, she was happy. So I let her rest for a few hours. I continued to try to feed her and by noon I gave her banamine incase she was in pain. By that afternoon it was obvious she wasn't going to make it. I told my mom, as along as she's comfortably laying there, not thrashing around or acting in pain we'd just keep her comfortable until that evening when my brother could put her down and my cousin could burry her. It was about 5ish and I checked on her and she was starting to show signs of pain. My brother put her down immediately. I miss her every day. But in that 1 1/2 weeks of owning her, she's known love and she learned humans weren't bad people. She was spoiled rotten. I dont regret trying to save her. And I'd do it again in a heart beat if I needed to.

But I dont think she was injured. The reason I say that is because they had another baby go down like her. He was put down.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Premier Cat

that is so incrediblely sad. What a valiant effort to give her a fighting chance. Atleast she didnt suffer and she knew love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page