George Carlin - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

George Carlin

One of my all-time favorite comedians expired yesterday at the age of 71. He was still performing, as recently as last weekend.

Quote:
In one of his most famous routines, Carlin railed against euphemisms he said have become so widespread that no one can simply “die.”

“‘Older’ sounds a little better than ‘old,’ doesn’t it?,” he said. “Sounds like it might even last a little longer. ... I’m getting old. And it’s OK. Because thanks to our fear of death in this country I won’t have to die — I’ll ‘pass away.’ Or I’ll ‘expire,’ like a magazine subscription. If it happens in the hospital they’ll call it a ‘terminal episode.’ The insurance company will refer to it as ‘negative patient care outcome.’ And if it’s the result of malpractice they’ll say it was a ‘therapeutic misadventure.”’
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/

His last interview on MSNBC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UVXj8F9 ... re=related

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

He was a master of the English language and it's nuances. I heard that there will be his last HBO special sometime this summer.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
On Tuesday, it was announced that Carlin was being awarded the 11th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, which will be presented Nov. 10 in Washington and broadcast on PBS.
Sadly, this will now be awarded posthumously,but at least he knew about it.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Cat Addict

Re: George Carlin

I'm so saddened by his passing, I've just started liking his show, didn't know him before..

Maria
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Cat

I hate this news. I only saw him as a older man but he was in Scary Movie 3, in probably my fave scene in one my fave movies.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to LadyNeko
George Carlin was awesome. I love his stand-up and I've read all his books. So sad to see him "expired". He will be missed

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I have always enjoyed Geoge Carlin's humor, and was very upset by the news of his death. He was at his funniest when talking about simple, everyday things that we can relate to, but are not funny until George Carlin mentions them...like how loud the car radio seems when we stop at redlights. His use of the 7 words had a reason, and that was to show that humankind made those words unacceptable. He was right, according to my linguistics professor. Most of the four letter words were medical terms from the Middle Ages. He was not a "blue" comedian in any of the shows I have seen.

The man was so very bright and full of wit. He will be missed. God rest his soul. (and I believe He will.)

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Cat Addict

I haven't seen much of George Carlin's material but I do remember watching old Johnny Carson clips with the "hippy dippy weatherman." Funny stuff!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Premier Cat

Dang....I have enjoyed watching him over the years.
Thanks for the post....
I have not had the tv on for a few days.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That makes two shocks this week. George Carlin and Tim Russert.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page