Got 2 new African dwarf frogs! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Got 2 new African dwarf frogs!

When I was in Bismarck I bought 2 ADFs at PetSmart because we don't have anyone here in town who sells them.

I obviously read up on them beforehand, discovering all about their poor eyesight, the need to feed them on more of a "personal" basis to make sure they get food before anything else in the tank does, and the fact that they will usually only eat live or frozen food.

I was told by one of the staff at PetSmart that they feed their ADFs with a turkey baster and eventually the frogs learn that when they see the end of the baster food is coming. In doing so myself, it seems that one of the frogs is already starting to figure this out but the other one really hasn't yet, so what I've also been doing is leaving a little bit of food on the gravel right beside whereever they happen to be in the tank at feeding time so they can smell it.

Anyone else with ADF frogs and how easy/difficult have you found feeding?

Also, I'm wondering if they really aren't supposed to be the most exciting little creatures or if mine are just dull. They don't seem to move a whole lot, actually standing in the same position for almost an hour at time sometimes. At one point I was worried that they were getting caught up in some of the decor/plants of the tank so I actually thinned it out a little, removing the plants that were thicker and more spindly and leaving the plants that provided protection from the light and hiding places but were thinner and easier to get through.

Any other tips on keeping ADFs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Premier Cat

Can you please show me some pictures of your set-up?
I have wanted for a long time to get my daughter a small creature.

In the past we have tried wild toads...but they are very hard to keep alive.
The last one we had I let it go while she was gone so that it could survive.
As soon as I noticed it stopped eating.

The one prior to that survived for about 5 months....
I thought I had it made with him/her because from all the reading
I have done most toads dont live past 2-3 weeks in captivity.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Senior Cat

ADF's are cute! Lovelovelove them! They do tend to be not exciting, and prefer very low-flow tanks (high motion water irritates them).

BUT!!!!

PLEASE make sure you have ADF and not African CLAWED Frogs.

Speaking as someone who worked at PetSmart for over 2 years, we'd get BOTH in constantly. If the frogs have teeny-tiny claws on their tooties, they're clawed frogs. These frogs get large!!

Both ADF's and ACF -will- eat any fishie tank mates (anything as big as a full grown male betta and smaller is fair game, EVEN for tiny frogs). Regardless of how much you feed them, they will try and eat your fish one day. Silly froggies.

They have such bad eyesight, which is true. Something fast moving beside them, they just jump with mouth open and attempt to eat.. heh.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby
Speaking as someone who worked at PetSmart for over 2 years, we'd get BOTH in constantly. If the frogs have teeny-tiny claws on their tooties, they're clawed frogs. These frogs get large!!
The gal at PetSmart in Bismarck said they do NOT get any clawed frogs in. Maybe it's a store-by-store preference?? The ones I have are DEFINITELY ADFs, not ACFs.

Quote:
both ADF's and ACF -will- eat any fishie tank mates (anything as big as a full grown male betta and smaller is fair game, EVEN for tiny frogs). Regardless of how much you feed them, they will try and eat your fish one day. Silly froggies.
OK, with all the reading I did on ADFs I gathered that they would be good tankmates with bottom dwellers and algae eaters. I currently have them in a 10-gallon with 1 apple snail, 1 corydora and 6 platy babies with which I am waiting for them to become a bit larger before I move them over to a 29-gallon with all the other platys I have. So far everyone seems to be getting along. None of the other creatures in the tank are injuried or dead. Should I get those platys out of there ASAP?

They have such bad eyesight, which is true. Something fast moving beside them, they just jump with mouth open and attempt to eat.. heh.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Can you please show me some pictures of your set-up?
I'll take pictures as soon as I'm done "remodeling" their home. As explained in my original post, some of the plants I originally had in there were pretty thick, spindly and coarse so I've taken those out and need to get out and find a few more small thinner ones.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
The gal at PetSmart in Bismarck said they do NOT get any clawed frogs in. Maybe it's a store-by-store preference?? The ones I have are DEFINITELY ADFs, not ACFs.
Also, I hate to say it, but 90%of PetSmart employees aren't reliable for information on the animals you buy there. The chances you got a "good one" are slight. Most employees don't know how to tell a ADF from an ACF. We never got them on purpose at our store, but a TRUE ADF is rare. ACF's are cheaper, and often suppliers send them because the stores/employees won't know, and they'll likely not survive in home tanks anyways (b/c most people just don't know what to do!). Yours are lucky to have such a dedicated frog-mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
OK, with all the reading I did on ADFs I gathered that they would be good tankmates with bottom dwellers and algae eaters. I currently have them in a 10-gallon with 1 apple snail, 1 corydora and 6 platy babies with which I am waiting for them to become a bit larger before I move them over to a 29-gallon with all the other platys I have. So far everyone seems to be getting along. None of the other creatures in the tank are injuried or dead. Should I get those platys out of there ASAP?
I think your main concern would be the fry. The snail should be fine, the cory as well. The fry = snacks. If anything, I'd move the frogs to the larger tank with the adults and keep the smaller tank for the fry to get adult size in before moving them over.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Premier Cat

Hey Jo....

Dont go out of your way for pictures for me...
from reading this thread some more I realize this is an
aquarium type set-up, with fish too.

What I am after is having a toad or a frog alone style set-up.
Pics are still great but dont go out of your way for me. o.k?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
What I am after is having a toad or a frog alone style set-up. Pics are still great but dont go out of your way for me. o.k?
No, it won't be a problem - really. I just meant to say that I'm not quite finished with the way I want things to be since the addition of the ADFs, and by the way, ADFs do just fine and dandy in their own tank although I have also read that they can get lonely and like to be in the tank with at least one other ADF. Since ADFs only get to be 1-1/2 inches in length a 2-gallon or 5-gallon setup would be perfect for them, as long as you put decor in their that has places they can hide; they like to duck away from everything else and stay hidden for lengths of time. The reason I put them in with the cory and snail are because I've ready that any other tropical fish can tend to pick on them and I didn't want them to become injured since they can be susceptible to that. That's also why I removed my "coarser" plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzby
Also, I hate to say it, but 90%of PetSmart employees aren't reliable for information on the animals you buy there. The chances you got a "good one" are slight. Most employees don't know how to tell a ADF from an ACF. We never got them on purpose at our store, but a TRUE ADF is rare. ACF's are cheaper, and often suppliers send them because the stores/employees won't know, and they'll likely not survive in home tanks anyways (b/c most people just don't know what to do!). Yours are lucky to have such a dedicated frog-mom!
Thanks for the info! You had me worried there for a bit but I have looked the frogs over at the store and tons since they've been home and the really don't see any "claws." Is it obvious that they are claws?

Quote:
I think your main concern would be the fry. The snail should be fine, the cory as well. The fry = snacks. If anything, I'd move the frogs to the larger tank with the adults and keep the smaller tank for the fry to get adult size in before moving them over.
I guess I'm a little leerie about that because I also have 3 mollies in the 29-gallon (forgot to mention that). Mollies can sometimes be territorial and/or agressive, can't they? One other thing I thought would be good to mention is that the platy fry are now about half size of an adult. What size it considered safe to move them in with other adult fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page