Spider bite reaction? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Spider bite reaction?

For the last couple weeks at least, almost every morning I wake up with an itchy rash that, when scratched, turns dark pinkish-red and bumpy. It's located in the inside of my right forearm. Could this be a local reaction to a spider bite, taking this long to get out of my system? How about the possibility of repeated spider bites in the same place?

I've heard it said that many people are bitten by spiders in their sleep and don't realize it, while some apparently even swallow a spider or two in their lifetime , but I've never heard of it taking this long to recover from a single spider bite.

I've used other things like sunscreen lately as well but wouldn't you think if I were to have a reaction to that that I would have a patchy rash all over the place and not just in a quarter-sized area on my arm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Premier Cat

Could you have been bitten by a tick?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
Could you have been bitten by a tick?
Well, I didn't have a tick latched on to my arm or anything. If they bite, don't they latch on and stay there until something/someone picks it off?

If you're talking about deer ticks, which carry Lyme disease, we don't have those in North Dakota and I haven't exhibited any of the neurologic abnormalities that are seen with deer tick bites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Premier Cat

Yup, that's what I was thinking of. Didn't even stop to think of where you are located.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

OK, just making sure I understood you. As far as I know, a run-of-the-mill woodtick bite won't cause symptoms like a deer tick.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Cool Cat

I occasionally get small red bumps in that area from sleeves of certain item of clothing.
Also, I don't want to freak you out, but that is a common area of outbreak for scabies. Any chance you have been exposed? Though if you had, it would most likely have spread to other areas by now.
I don't think a single bite would appear and re-appear like that....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty
Also, I don't want to freak you out, but that is a common area of outbreak for scabies.
Ummmm, yeah sure, you don't want to freak me out!

I really don't think it's anything like scabies. I don't itch anywhere else and it only occurs within the first couple hours after waking up and then goes away.

I have thought of the irritation from clothing issue, though almost everything I wear is either 100% cotton or a cotton/polyester blend and has always been that way.

The other possibility I thought of was getting too warm overnight. I can't tolerate the heat and hubby refuses to let me open the windows for fresh air overnight so I often wake up drenched (like you needed to know that, right? )
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Premier Cat

Could you have come into contact with chiggers? Their bite causes a rash, but the rash lasts for seven to ten days, it doesn't come and go.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Cool Cat

It could be a combo of heat and irritation from the seam of clothing.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Willow771
Exzema...thats all i have to say. sounds exactly like what i experience every day. i get outbreaks from stress and it itches like mad

Here is some examples. Very very common where you get it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page