How to Vaccuum in a House with Pets and Long Haired Humans - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

How to Vaccuum in a House with Pets and Long Haired Humans

Prelude: Vaccuum the entire house, pretend the burning, rancid smell from the vaccuum is normal, pretend there really was a difference in the house after you were done. Discreetly put away the vaccuum and hope the problem goes away on its own.

Five weeks later: Acknowledge that the dust bunnies have become dust yetis, and the vaccuum must be faced.

1. Hope the problem went away on its own five weeks ago, and begin vaccuuming.

2. Acknowledge that the burning rancid smell has filled the house. Normal, check.

3. Acknowledge that the hair is not coming up off the carpet. Seminormal, check.

4. Acknowledge that the vaccuum is spitting out more than it sucks up. Abnormal.

5. Empty out the vaccuum bag (reusable plastic barrel thingy). Surely that fixes the problem. Notice that the filters at the top of the barrel are completely invisible with dust--clean those for good measure. Five filters later, reattach the bag. Problem fixed. Turn on the vaccuum.

6. Acknowledge that the burning rancid smell and regurgitation are still happening. Proceed to plan B.

7. Flip over the vaccuum, cut away about a quarter inch of human hair wrapped around the entire roller bar. Problem fixed! Turn it rightside up, and turn on the vaccuum.

8. Acknowledge that the burning rancid smell and regurgitation are still happening. Proceed to plan C.

9. Flip over the vacuum again, try to remove the plate covering the roller bar. Realize you have to remove the entire plate on the bottom of the vaccuum. Get the electric screwdriver and go to town.

10. Realize that you should have put a bag beneath the vaccum, as when the plate is removed ten pounds of pet hair and dirt falls out--on the carpet. Clean out all visible pet hair. Notice the belt that rotates the roller bar is invisible, covered with human hair. Cut away over a half inch deep collection of hair, replace all contents on the vaccuum. Problem solved! A rotating roller bar is useful. Turn the vaccuum upright and turn on power.

11. Acknowledge that regurgitation is still happening, and nothing is getting vaccuumed up. Proceed to plan D.

12. Remove the long hose thing to attach a nozzel and bypass the entire roller bar area. Upon removal, notice that the four foot long hose is completely, solidly packed with pet hair and dirt that isn't going anywhere (except the pound of it that fell out onto the carpet from the very end of the hose). Get three knives, two knitting needles, two pairs of barbecue tongs, and a two foot barbecue fork and begin digging. Remove all visible hair and dirt. Reattach hose, problem MUST be solved now! Turn on vaccuum.

13. Acknowledge that regurgitation is still happening, and nothing is getting vaccuumed up. Proceed to plan E.

14. Inspect the hose, realize there is approximately six feet of extendable hose that have to have a holding bar removed to access the additional hose. Relocate electric screwdriver, go to town, repeat step 12, reattach hardware. Problem's probably not fixed, turn on the vaccuum anyway.

15. Joyously acknowledge mastery of the vaccuum when the burning smell, regurgitation, and lack of vaccuuming have now disappeared. Vaccuum the approximate 100 square feet of house for the four necessary minutes, and put away the vaccuum.

Time required to fix the vaccuum: 1.5 hours

Time required to vaccuum: 4 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Premier Cat

But you fixed it!!!! You get an A for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to LadyNeko
Wow!

I would have given up and just got a new vacuum. XD Kudos for all that work!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Cool Cat

TENACITY! Been there, fought that battle. Oh no, I will not be thwarted by a mere machine!
Congrats
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Cat Addict

HA! I have so been there, done that! Way to perservere!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

My vacuum cleaner died a few weeks ago - same thing, horrible burning smell and the round thing wouldn't rotate. But I don't do repairs. I bought a new cheap little one at Target, got it home and it was a million pieces you have to put together! Maria reminded me about Craigslist - how could I forget about Craigslist? Returned the cheap little vacuum cleaner and got a nice big used Eureka for $20.

But my hat's off to you for repairing yours!! Mine's still in the corner. Dead.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Cat

Send a message via MSN to noludoru Send a message via Yahoo to noludoru
LOL! Wow.

Maybe you should buy a Dyson. They're amazing, my carpets look like new.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
Oh, Ive been there... Got rid of the carpet, lol
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticborders
Oh, Ive been there... Got rid of the carpet, lol
Ha LOL I have stained floors so all I do is grab the dust mop and walk around the house with it now!!!! I hate vacuming so its nice!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Senior Cat

i love my dyson have had it only a yr and it is still going.
but all the other vacums only lasted one yr and i changed so many belts and cleaned them and they still kicked the bucket.

my dyson still has to have the beater cleaned evey 2nd time and i vacum once or twice a day. i have 4 dogs 2 cats and 2 long haired humans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page