I had a really scary experience - choking - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I had a really scary experience - choking

Last week I was on a coach coming back from a trip somewhere, popped a mint into my mouth and it "went down the wrong way", something which we have all experienced at some point or other.

I started coughing and someone patted me on the back and it didn't improve things at all. I was trying to breathe through my nose and just got more and more panicked. Thank goodness someone shouted for the coach to stop and there was a medical student on board who practically pushed me off and did the heimlich manoevre on me three times before it finally shifted. Apparantly my lips had gone blue and it was getting quite serious and all I could remember thinking was that this was it.

I know it sounds melodramatic but I am in no doubt that if this wonderful woman had not been around I would have been a gonner. It really scared me and I have barely been able to eat anything since.

I am sure there is a lot of information available but I just wanted to share a site which tells you what to do if you ever experience someone seriously choking so that you would be able to to help:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... leId=2301#

It really was the most frightening experience, I hope none of you ever experience it but are well equipped if you ever come across someone in that situation.

Stephie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

... by Doodle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Cool Cat

And this is a good time to push for everyone to learn CPR with the use of an AED. It includes dealing with choking. It's only four hours through the American Heart Association. They are constantly simplifying it , to encourage people to learn. No written test, just practice and then running through it.
Many of the churches are offering it at no cost to their congregation. Fire stations in our area teach it at a very reasonable price for people living and working in our town.
If I can teach it, you all can learn it. The more who know it, the more help there will be when it is needed.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Senior Cat

thank goodness your ok that must have been such a frightening situation, i cant even imagine. Thank god that medical student was there.

i agree that everyone should learn CPR, you never know when it will come in handy.

Lauren&

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Cool Cat

Adult CPR and First Aid are both required at my workplace. Everyone should learn, it isn't hard, and you could save someones life some day.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
When you start breaking ribs is when your doing CPR correctly (Hubby was a EMT so he taught me ) I am so happy your ok though!!!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Premier Cat

How scary for you! Thank goodness the med student was there to help you.

Mstx: I have broken a few ribs in my past. I always hated doing that.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Cool Cat

Honestly, if I ever had a heart attack, I'd rather someone try, even if they do break a rib. Broken ribs heal, but heart attacks kill without immediate attention.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Cool Cat

A few years ago, I was driving on a lightly traveled country road, chewing a wad of gum. I went to cough, took a big gulp of air in, and down went the gum. Completely blocked my airway. I couldn't cough it up. What surprised me is that it really didn't take long for me to feel the effects of not being able to breathe! I put my hand and fist between my stomach and the steering wheel and pushed up with my hands and down with my body, using the steering wheel for more pressure. By the time I dislodged the gum (which felt like forever.... ), my truck had stalled and drifted into someone's front yard. Man, it was a truly frightening experience.

And I haven't chewed gum since then!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, how frightening I'm glad you're OK, Stephie, and you too, Elsie!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Senior Cat

Im glad you are okay .

That choking sensation is absolutly awful.

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page