Last week I was on a coach coming back from a trip somewhere, popped a mint into my mouth and it "went down the wrong way", something which we have all experienced at some point or other.
I started coughing and someone patted me on the back and it didn't improve things at all. I was trying to breathe through my nose and just got more and more panicked. Thank goodness someone shouted for the coach to stop and there was a medical student on board who practically pushed me off and did the heimlich manoevre on me three times before it finally shifted. Apparantly my lips had gone blue and it was getting quite serious and all I could remember thinking was that this was it.
I know it sounds melodramatic but I am in no doubt that if this wonderful woman had not been around I would have been a gonner. It really scared me and I have barely been able to eat anything since.
I am sure there is a lot of information available but I just wanted to share a site which tells you what to do if you ever experience someone seriously choking so that you would be able to to help:
And this is a good time to push for everyone to learn CPR with the use of an AED. It includes dealing with choking. It's only four hours through the American Heart Association. They are constantly simplifying it , to encourage people to learn. No written test, just practice and then running through it.
Many of the churches are offering it at no cost to their congregation. Fire stations in our area teach it at a very reasonable price for people living and working in our town.
If I can teach it, you all can learn it. The more who know it, the more help there will be when it is needed.
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
A few years ago, I was driving on a lightly traveled country road, chewing a wad of gum. I went to cough, took a big gulp of air in, and down went the gum. Completely blocked my airway. I couldn't cough it up. What surprised me is that it really didn't take long for me to feel the effects of not being able to breathe! I put my hand and fist between my stomach and the steering wheel and pushed up with my hands and down with my body, using the steering wheel for more pressure. By the time I dislodged the gum (which felt like forever.... ), my truck had stalled and drifted into someone's front yard. Man, it was a truly frightening experience.
And I haven't chewed gum since then!
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.