CFL bulbs and Ceiling Fan - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

CFL bulbs and Ceiling Fan

I had heard so much about how CFL bulbs are better for the environment, so I decided to start in the living room and replace the bulbs there. Thing is we have a ceiling fan.

Within 24 hours of putting in the new bulbs the fan no longer worked on medium or low.

It can't be a coincidence that it happened since the fan is only about 5 years old and was a Hunter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Cool Cat

We did our entire house in CFL bulbs this past winter. S/O developed Uveitis and a host of other eye conditions for which there was no cause at all found after months and months of testing, etc.

Doing some random reading on how to recycle the bulbs (they contain mercury, or some other thing you can't just toss away), we discovered that some people have very bad reactions to CFL bulbs and develop fairly serious eye conditions. If they aren't properly shielded, they throw off too much light?

We've removed all the eco-bulbs and gone back to the old fashioned kind, and the flare-ups have almost completely subsided.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I read that you can't put the CFL bulbs in a landfill. I wondered how you dispose of them. Kinda scary to me.

I will just find other ways to be environmentally conscious like taking my canvas bags to the store instead of using plastic bags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Cool Cat

Yeah, they really aren't all that eco-friendly. I mean the do save energy, but they are hazardous waste
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned

I hope you guys know that your exceedingly intelligent and extraordinarily public-service minded U.S. Congress (read ****NOT****) has passed a law mandating the phase-out of incandescent bulbs. I don't know about you, but I do NOT like compact flourescents. Oh, sure, they use a whole lot less electricity, but that's ALL they've got going for them.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oy, I knew California was going trying to do that, but didn't know that they were going to do it nationally. Grrr.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Cool Cat

Well ain't that just peachy.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Cool Cat

nd they turn everything weird coors - a greenish cast.
SO can't see it, but it drives me crazy.

I wish they would repeal that law - or let us keep getting them, but pay more. I would.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Premier Cat

It is strange that compact florescants would break two speed settings on your ceiling fan, Lea.

I notice the greenish light, but it doesn't bother me very much. I believe it bugs Arianwen, though.
I have two lamps that I mainly use. One is a torchiere with a cfl in it, and the other is an antique bedside incandescent lamp that's on a dimmer.

You can't use today's cfl's with a dimmer for technical reasons, which, I think, are mainly due to laziness on the part of the engineers who developed the power supply circuitry they use.

The cfl's do give out a different spectrum of light. I think they put out more UV than standard fluorescent lighting. That may account for the eye irritation some folks experience.

I use the bright cfl lamp when I need more light, but Arianwen doesn't like it. She looked pointedly at it and said,"Bad!" one day. Out of the mouths of babes or kittehs...

ETA - Arianwen kissed me just now when I told her I would turn the bright light off for her.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Arianwen makes everything all better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page