I might be moving (with flatmate). Advice requested! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I might be moving (with flatmate). Advice requested!

The lease on the flat runs out in the middle of September. To be honest, I think it would be easier just to stay where we are but I think flatmate would like to have a look just to see if theres anything else on offer that might be slightly better.

It needs to have two double bedrooms, be unfurnished or partially furnished and accept cats. The double bedroom requirement will be easily fulfilled. The unfurnished requirement will be slightly more tricky. The cat requirement is going to be almost impossible!

I dont think we are going to get very far with this flat search - due to most landlords refusing to accept animals - but I suggested we should just look for a week or so just to see.

I'm going to contact some estate agents in the area via email to ask if they get properties in that are suitable. Here it is.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi there

My flatmate and I are currently looking to move from our current flat. We would need a 2 bedroom flat, preferably both double bedrooms. We have a cat and our own furniture so a unfurnished or partially furnished place would be ideal. The cat we can get references for - he is completly clean and non destructive. He is also an indoor cat so a garden flat is not essential.

We are not looking to move immediately - this is just to see whether if you ever get properties come in that meet our needs. We are happy to be flexible regarding whether the flat is furnished or size of the bedrooms if necessary but the requirement to move to a place that accepts pets is not negoitable.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts, modifications that should be made much appreciated!

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Banned

"the cat we can get references for" LOL...

Moving (even to a flat) is a pretty big thing to do, so You'll both need to really want to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like you or your flatmate are in that situation.
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Willow771
I dont know when or how long it will take to hit your part of the world, but they are just starting to update the "no discrimation" policy by saying that landlords cant discriminate towards pet owners. They can however charge an individual pet deposit that is equivelant to the damage deposit.

More and more places around here are allowing animals, seems they want to get ahead of the new bill.

hope something like that comes around your way too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
"the cat we can get references for" LOL...

Moving (even to a flat) is a pretty big thing to do, so You'll both need to really want to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like you or your flatmate are in that situation.
Well - the flat we are in is pretty grotty to be honest and we have been fighting cockroaches from the start (yuk). There are many other much nicer flats for the money.

Whether there are nice flats that will allow cats remains to be seen. . If not, guess we are staying put.

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Premier Cat

I'd move too if there were cockroaches . Have you thought about getting a flat by yourself since you and the flatmate have some tensions from time to time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
I'd move too if there were cockroaches . Have you thought about getting a flat by yourself since you and the flatmate have some tensions from time to time?
Its way too expensive to live on your own in London, unless you want to live in a studio flat the size of some peoples walk-in wardrobes!

Tried it for a year and was throughly miserable. And theres no way I'll find that sort of place that will accept a cat.

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Premier Cat

I hope that you have good luck on the search. Btw, I thought that your email to the Realtors was great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow771
I dont know when or how long it will take to hit your part of the world, but they are just starting to update the "no discrimation" policy by saying that landlords cant discriminate towards pet owners. They can however charge an individual pet deposit that is equivelant to the damage deposit.
Well, it would be nice. Just been having a look around now and it seems almost impossible to find anywhere that will accept one small, clean, non destructive animal.

Personally I think we would be better off just staying here - options seem very few and far between. I know some people sneak pets into rental properties anyway but neither of us are prepared to do that. Its a real pain because we could have somewhere far nicer for the money.

Anyway, I'm sending the email around to all the agents around here this morning. You never can tell. I'm more than happy to pay an extra deposit if required.

Cats!

How have other people found the experience of trying to find a pet friendly rental place? Really hard or not as bad as you feared it may have been? I do understand why landlords might not want pets messing up the place but its most inconvenient!

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Cool Cat

Since we left Tennessee for the greater Boston area, we've moved (locally) 3 times, and each time we had no problem finding a "pet friendly" apartment. The last one we just had to pay a deposit, but this one there is a deposit and a monthly fee. We put up with the fee because the apartment is nicer than where we were before, and MUCH closer to work.
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

It's probably going to be a little more difficult in London though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page