Any advice on how to quiet an active mind at bedtime? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Any advice on how to quiet an active mind at bedtime?

I taught my last classes a few weeks ago and the students are now on summer vacation, so I've had no obligations and won't have any major plans until next week. The problem is that for someone with nothing to do, I'm like the busiest person EVER! This summer I have two friends visiting, and although I love them to pieces and am so excited to see them and travel with them, nobody asked me when would be a good time to come or whether I needed a break. They somehow managed to book it so one is coming July 8th-28th and the other is coming July 28th to the day I go home (the US) for a visit.

I'm only going to be in my current apartment for about 4 days of the entire summer, and we'll be backpacking nonstop the rest of it. I'm so ridiculously overloaded right now. I need to plan every detail of the trips, move to my new apartment, find a new job, get my residency permit renewed, find someone to watch Sebastian, and about a million other things as well. I deal with stress by getting extremely organized. I'm a list maker. I have to be or I'll forget, and the fear of forgetting stresses me out more. Lists are like my comfort zone. I keep working on my lists, but they're only getting longer as I remember more and more things I have to do.

I can feel that my body is just exhausted from all of this crazy stuff. Last night I worked on the master itinerary for friend #1 until after midnight (had to be up at 6). I find it really hard to stop in the middle of something like that once I've started and I left it about 3/4 of the way done. I went to bed, but my mind just wouldn't shut off. I tried reading, breathing exercises, but my mind kept drifting back to plans and lists. Today I feel awful, I had to go into the city to meet with someone for job networking and on the 2 hr bus ride home I tried to nap but it just wasn't working. Instead I was thinking about packing my apartment. If I don't get some rest, I think I'm going to go insane! I usually turn to the Nyquil at times like these, but I only have a few capsules left! I was saving them for the plane back to the US... any suggestions?

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Stop doing that stuff two hours before bedtime and do something boring that lets you wind down -- something that doesn't require any mental activity. And that doesn't include making lists. Finish up your final to-do list before your spool-down time. Listening to soothing music can help. I've got a number of CD's of Chinese meditation music that I used to listen when I needed relaxation. I can't read what is printed on there, so I can't tell you what they are or where to buy them. I ordered them online from a place that imports Chinese music, so that's no help to you.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Cool Cat

Sometimes I keep the radio on through the night...when I realize I'm starting to think and get agitated again, I stop and make myself focus on the music and lyrics, which lulls me back to rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Jasmine Green tea with 2 tbl spoons of honey help me calm down for bedtime.!!!! Turn off the computer and do something relaxing like yoga 1 hour before bed
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Tylenol PM is helpful, I understand. I have the same problem, unfortunately! Sometimes I just have to get up and lie down on the couch. Playing the TV or radio softly is helpful. And mothers' remedy, warm milk, I understand, works for some people.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Cat

A little old lady told me the following ...... first of all .. relax yr face muscles .. concentrate on that .... as soon as u feel your body relaxing , listen to your breathing , and then listen to yr heart beating ..... it calms me down immediately.

Now im bipolar and I could quite easily lie awake all night while my brain was going beserk .. this method is the only thing that works for me

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I use a method similar to that. I start at the top of my body and consciously relax every part, from my head to my toes and back up. That's very effective also.

I have been in Robin's position though, when you just can't stop thinking. I know it's difficult!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

If, like me, you can't seem to just relax your muscles, you could try conciously tightening them, then relaxing them completely.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Cool Cat

When I can't get my mind to stop working, I take Ambien. Greatest thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned.

But if prescription sleeping pills aren't your style, I also endorse soothing music, hot baths, and relaxing herb tea. (Chamomile, mint, rose, even catnip!)
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned

Catnip? is that through experience or accident?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page