Bunnies....can't live with them-UPDATE-Pics - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to HersheysKiss
Bunnies....can't live with them-UPDATE-Pics

Dh was out cutting the grass tonight since we purchased one of those inflate and fill pools for our kids and wanted to set it up. He was cutting around the tree and ran over a pile of grass. After he went over it he stopped and looked at the pile. My heart sank....I was afraid of what he was going to tell me.

Sure enough he ran over a bunny nest but the little buggers were well hidden in a deep nest so there were no casualties. I checked them all over just to make sure no one was hurt. They were all fine and their momma must have just been there to feed them cause they all had nice round full tummies. I did gather them all out of the nest so my DH could finish cutting the grass without hurting anyone. I carefully put them all back in the nest, covered them with moms fur and the dried grass she mounded and laid a few logs around the nest so no one accidentally steps on them. I dropped a carrot near the nest for her as well. They looked to be only about a week old. They were fully furred but their eyes were still closed. There are 5 of them. I will try to get a pic tomorrow when I check to make sure mom has returned.

The little darlings are so cute. Too bad they grow up and eat all of my shrubs to the ground every winter Thinking back I believe I saw mom on my deck last week. I wonder if she was the one who built a nest last year less than 2 yard away from where this nest is.

I am just hoping that the local roving cat doesn't find her nest. There is one that hangs out around the area that has been sighted using the neighbors bird feeders as a snack dispenser.

Vanessa

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him. - Dereke Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Tom Cat

I hope the cat doesn't find them!!! I bet they're so CUTE!!! Its amazing that they weren't hurt. That was probably stressful for your husband!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Premier Cat

I have the exact same situation. Almost every morning I see little brown bunnies hopping around next to our house, and I live in fear that I'll see one of them dead because of the outdoor cat across the street. They are so adorable.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Premier Cat

Oh my cats love eating baby bunnies.
sorry.....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
Baby rabbits are sooo cute. Cute bunny story:

A couple years ago I was fostering a momma cat and kittens. My friend called and said that his dog had killed a momma and a nest of babies, but one baby was unharmed. Well our wildlife rescue doesn't take baby rabbits, so I told him to bring it over. Next morning I called the vet, he gave me some advice, and told me to try to put the baby with the kittens. And sure enough, Sidney(momma cat) accepted the little bunny as her own. She raised Egg Roll as well as her own kittens. It was sooooo cute. Egg Roll would wrestle with the kittens, and would bond with us, run over to us and sit on our legs.

We started weaning him, which is very difficult in wild bunnies, but we got through it
And then one day the "fear period" began and it was time for Egg Roll to go back outside where he belonged.
We had a little release party for him.
He's still around too, I see him lurking around the house every now and then, all big and fat.

I gotta go find pics of him and Sidney and his kitty "siblings"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to HersheysKiss
Well here are a few pictures of the brood. I was lucky enough to get a picture of mom too. She was hanging out by our fence keeping an eye on her babies from a distance. What a good momma.

Mom-looking very relaxed

[/img]

Vanessa

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him. - Dereke Bruce
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
omg, too much cuteness.... too much... *faints*
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Premier Cat

On the floor next to Lorna.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm at Lorna's house stealing her cats because she's passed out!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I'm at Lorna's house stealing her cats because she's passed out!
Darn it Marie, you beat me to it.

I'll have to hurry to get over to Lee Ann's place to get her kitties since she is on the floor beside Lorna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page