Anti-virus software - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Anti-virus software

I currently have the AVG freeware loaded onto both my laptop and my husband's computer. It seems to be working fine as long as I keep it updated on a regular basis. My question is this: How much more reliable is the $$ version of the software? I know it has the anti-spyware, anti-spam and a firewall, but in the long run, is it worth the $70 per year to cover both computers? I had Norton on the computers, until my son suggested and downloaded the AVG on the two computers.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry, I dont want to Hijack...

But.....I have another AVG question.
I cannot get the new version 8 to install on my pc.
It says the installation and certain files are corrupt.

Has anyone else had this problem?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Cat Addict

I have avg and have no clue if it works on my computer. Everytime I try to update, it freezes my computer and wont install. I have avast and it is great! It is a free download. Try it, It has found many viruses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Premier Cat

I know that my hubby likes Norton the best, and that is what he installs on most of the computers that he fixes.

I don't know anything about the AVG software, sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Had Norton on both computers. It kept freezing my iTunes and a certain iTunes updates rendered the virus software useless. I dumped it and my son loaded the AVG on both computers. It seems to be running fine. I guess my question is whether or not it's worth the $$ to upgrade. It's not sounding promising!

Also, I've been using Firefox as my browser, trying to stay completely away from Internet Explorer. Is there another browser out there that's just as reliable? (I know my son uses a different one, the name escapes me at this moment.)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
ok Hubbys a IT guys so I go by what he says..... Microsoft Defender works the best and its free!!!! Norton can cause lots of problems later on and if you want to get if (completly off not just you dont see it) its darn near impossible. He also reccommends Bit Defender!!!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Banned

I love AVG anti-virus and firewall. I upgraded to the new version 8 with the full works and after a few days, removed it and reinstalled ver 7.5 AV+FW. The new version isn't ready for prime time, IMO. And I let them know it, too. I'm going to stick with 7.5 as long as I can.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
........ I'm going to stick with 7.5 as long as I can.
Then what??? This is what I have been wondering?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Premier Cat

Avast advocate too. I removed Norton from all the computers in the school I work in. It eats system resources like no tomorrow and imo isn't that great for its rip off price.

I use Avast at home, which is free for home users. At work I bought 11 licenses for 2 years and it was still less than half the price that Norton wanted for one year.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Cool Cat

I work for a non-profit and we use the free version of AVG at the office. I should point out that this really shouldn't be taken as a solid endorsement, we're very security conscious, just not very tech savvy.

At home, I have My Own Personal Geek (he is a computer programmer), and he has installed ESET Node32. No clue what that means, but he took Norton off. Norton used to be the best (Symantic) but now it is more of a pain the the tushy than anything. (how can spell-check not recognize tushy??)

Anywho, I don't have any advice on whether to pay for AVG or not, but I have been told the free version is actually pretty good. At work we don't need the anti-spam from the pay-version because we use Postini, and we have a firewall built into the server, so the free version is fine for us.

At home we have a magic unicorn protecting our network with faerie dust. *hangs head in shame* I know, I really should know what we have at home, but my head starts to implode when my geek gets his geek on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page