Oh no! Silk Care Blunder :( Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Oh no! Silk Care Blunder :( Help!

A few weeks ago I bought an Ann Taylor raw silk dress. I've always heard that all silk is washable, as long as you take the proper care. I'm used to washing satin and silk sweaters but this is the first raw silk thing I've owned. Well...after washing with a special silk detergent my dress looks terrible! The front looks darker, the fabric feels stiff and it's clearly shrunk -- the lining hangs a good 2 inches below the outer shell! I'm so sad Is this supposed to happen? Will it look better when it's dried??? I guess I should know soon...

I'm freaking out because this was no casual purchase. I rarely drop big $ on clothes, but I justified it by saying that's it's hotter than the devil's oven right now and I needed a dressy summer dress...

I know there are a lot of moms out there who know just about everything. Help! If it dries like this can I fix it??

poor dress, it looks so sad

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Cat Addict

Did your dress lose a lot of color in the wash? You may be able to reshape it the fabric to the correct proportions (or block it, as they say with knitting) with a gentle steam iron on the low heat 'silk' setting, or even re-dampen the dress with a spray bottle of water to reshape, but I recommend this only if the color is stable and doesn't bleed too much....Air dry setting in the dryer (no heat) may also return the fabric to a softer feel...

Fran
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Fran! I'll go try that. I don't know if it lost color or just shine. I read somewhere that white vinegar can help restore shine? I think I'll just focus on the shape for now though. I tried it on and I can still fit into it, it's just so much shorter now! I can't believe it. I should've taken it to the dry cleaners. I knew someone on here would have some good advice though

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to MelissaC
What did the tag say? You always should pay attention to the tag. If it says dry clean only it really means dry clean only. I worked in fashion for years and the reason alot of clothing gets ruined before it's time is because people don't pay attention to the tags.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaC
What did the tag say? You always should pay attention to the tag. If it says dry clean only it really means dry clean only.
I have many clothes that say "dry clean only" and have never in my life been to a dry cleaners. If they are delicate, I wash by hand and dry (hanging or flat), and some "dry clean only" things I even wash in cold then hang to dry.

Which is what I would recommend for the dress, wash it in cold by hand, lay it flat to dry, then iron with a warm iron and a tea towel (place tea towel between iron and dress to prevent "shiny spots").
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

No tag. Since a lot of clothes are manufactured here, they have these "consignment stores" which sell samples mostly, sometimes imperfects, or even overstocks. It's like impossible for me to fit into clothes found in local shops (too short -- they pinch me in the armpits and go above my pants -- not attractive). I always make great finds at these shops because they have western sizes and unlike at home where my size is common and I often can't find it, here, it's considered a leftover -- woo! The only downside is that sometimes they come with the snipped label (an imperfect) or somewhat incomplete. This dress was a sample, it only had the Ann Taylor label, but no care tag. I should've been safe over sorry! URGH

Robin and...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to MelissaC
Ah that sucks about the tag. Did you wash it in hot water? I've stopped washing in hot water a long time ago because I find it shrings everything. Is there anyway you can take it back?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I only have cold water hooked up to my machine. No way I could take it back. I think I got a handwritten receipt I tossed and the place is cash only. Oh well, if the ironing doesn't help, I'll just have to chalk it up to experience...I'm going with a friend who wants me to take her on Wednesday. I won't find the same dress again, but maybe I'll find another treasure...

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page