Adventure, yay! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Adventure, yay!

No, I'm not in a new job yet...

So, last Thursday I was laid off from work. I felt at the time that it was a good thing, all things considered, and I hear that work's going HORRIBLE for everyone remaining...there's been complaints filed, OSHA hit them, the manager has been demoted and replaced, and my replacement has lost many, many samples and is heap big trouble. Not to mention the temperature went straight to the triple digits this weekend. Okay, happy happy! I'll find a happier job, no problem. I have a car, it doesn't get any luckier. Glad I'm not there.

So....Monday my car broke down.

Tuesday for some reason she decided to start again, so I drive a few hundred miles to the nearest dealership (past Reno), and had a recall problem fixed. I figure I can handle repair costs a lot better than I can handle losing every job I apply for due to lack of transportation, right? Me and my dog sit in the waiting room for a few hours, while he schmoozes every poor person who crosses his path lol. He's been pet more than in his whole life now. They finish my car just before 5:00 pm, and I don't want to cross Reno traffic at rush hour so I go sit in a park to wait it out.

My car does not start again after I'm done. I tried to ask some lady to borrow her phone, I get as far as saying "excuse me-" she gives me a disgusted look and throws her hand up in the air and walks away. She thought I was a beggar! So the next lady who came along let me call the dealership. They rented me a car and sent a tow truck for my car after I was gone. I spent the night in a clean, friendly hotel. I drove back to the dealership this morning.

Wednesday: I walk into the dealership to see how my car's work is going. They look at me and ask, "Um...where's your car?" Not the words you want to hear. They did not know where my car was, I did not know where my car was, the towing service said they did not know where my car was if it wasn't on the lot. Turns out they never towed it away at all. So, we tow it this morning, the dog schmoozes the waiting room crowd again, and we come back home this afternoon. Yay, home!

A few hours later, my ex shows up. We parted...well, not UNamicably, at least. He came bearing gifts---an expensive videogame I'd lent him, $400 I'd lent him, a teddybear I'd given him, and a birthday present he'd bought long before we broke up apparantly. Oh man. It's something I've wanted all my life! I haven't had one since I was four or five!

He got me a Dremel The handheld wood engraving kit. The first toys I remember are not Barbies & make up kits--Mom raised us on Dremels, wood burning kits, exacto-knives, and sewing needles lol. I am jumping for joy. I FINALLY HAVE A DREMEL AGAIN!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

So yeah. Life is good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Oh yeah. I've lived in a lot of places...Colorado, Montana, Nevada, California...travelled through each state between...and I have never, ever, met people so friendly as folks in Carson City. Every waitress, every store clerk, all but one passerby on the street, every service rep...was willing to bend over backwards to be of assistance, and they were so friendly it was like talking to family. The dealership let me keep my dog with me in the building, and when they saw him panting they found a glass bowl for him to drink icewater out of. The local chain pharmacy let me call long distance on their phone when they had no cheap calling cards. Every clerk was inquisitive & concerned & just so caring! And they didn't just help...they were so HAPPY! All smiles & positive outlook & reassurance.

Everyone should visit Carson City. I know the town's pretty, but the people are more fabulous than anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
That's nice to hear that people are so friendly. What great people to let your dog in the building and found him a bowl! Glad to know there are people that still care...

Sorry about your job, but that sounds like it worked out for the best. Sorry about the car. Congrats on the Dremels set!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Tom Cat

How cool!!! You have a great attitude - and that makes a big difference.

And, YEA for you - - - GRRRR - those horrid co-workers and management types. It serves them right. OSHA is not someone to be toyed with. Bet you would like to be a fly on the wall on one of THOSE meetings!!!

I hope things iron out and great things start to happen to you... and I don't mean more wood working tools either!! LOL!!!

Hubby and I went out West to Colorado and Wyoming and ALL our luggage was stolen out of our room. (Walden, Colorado) They call that place "The Moose Viewing Capital of Colorado"... Other than NOT seeing a single moose, it looked like something out of that old show "Northern Exposure".

No hospital, no police department. They have an infirmary and a sheriff.

By the time the sheriff got to us - - and I assumed he'd be riding on a horse like Ben Cartwright.... NOPE - - BEFORE he got to us, the entire town knew that we were the "people from ALABAMA" that had everything stolen but their Igloo, a hair dryer and a can of Lysol.

The townspeople actually pressed their faces onto store windows when we walked by on the sidewalk. We were a novelty. Guess they never heard people from Alabama actually SPEAK. I dunno.

But people were buying us coffee, breakfast, lunch, giving us T-shirts... they couldn't have been more kind to us. It was humbling to say the least. I have a photo of us way up on Pike's Peak in SHORTS and a blanket because that's all we had.

*sigh*
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Banned

Is is wrong that I laughed my head off at this bit
Quote:
I FINALLY HAVE A DREMEL AGAIN!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

So yeah. Life is good.
Not to mention this....
Quote:
By the time the sheriff got to us - - and I assumed he'd be riding on a horse like Ben Cartwright.... NOPE - - BEFORE he got to us, the entire town knew that we were the "people from ALABAMA" that had everything stolen but their Igloo, a hair dryer and a can of Lysol.
You lived in an Igloo in Alabama? Oh my GOD....

I have a feeling I really shouldn't be laughing, but wow that was entertaining....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Premier Cat

Maybe you could write to the news in Carson City about how wonderful people were to you and your dog. They love human interest stories like that, and it would be a nice pat on the back for the people who helped you.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

Plus you get famous.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Tom Cat

It's an "ice chest" thingie. The Igloo Company! LOL!!!!

It WAS funny but it took a lot of TIME! We were eventually sent our luggage with our clothes in it. They stole my camera, my husband's medicine, my wedding ring, some earrings.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Banned

aww you spoilt the image....

I just imagined her sitting in an Igloo with her can of Lysol and a hairdryer....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Tom Cat

Well, it was "officially" 98 degrees here this week - 97 at my house... so I don't think a real igloo would last very long. LOL!!!

But it WAS an odd picture for us that day. It was very depressing to get all the way out there and have this happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page