Interesting opportunity - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Interesting opportunity

Hubs and I have a rather interesting , exciting and perhaps risky opportunity coming up.

South Africa has gone to the dogs so fast it isnt funny , now we have been exploring Australia, New Zealand etc ... BUT we dont have the money ... and we would have to find homes for ALL our animals. And of course we have grown children here.

Botswana and Mozambique are two of the "stable" african countries ... Mozambique is beautiful , rapidly growing economy , very little infrastructure as yet , and very very poor.

Now .. the company hubs works for is expanding their sugar operation into Mozambique which means we have the opportunity to go there .

Its a 4 hour flight to any one of our major cities , the roads in Mozambique can only be driven by 4x4 vehicles their are doctors but I doubt there are many vets.

Hubs will get paid a small fortune for working there and will also be employed also recieving a small fortune.

Its close to Maputo which means those lovely beaches and seafood

I would also probably be allowed to have all my animals at my own risk of course .

I spoke to my vet , and he feels that since I have above average knowledge on animals and health issues . he could supply me with antibiotics, rabies meds etc .. and of course should I need to euthanize the meds for that as well.....

My two dogs are old ... any serious issues that come up , even here .... I would have to euthanize .... I refuse to have an animal suffering to make me feel better ....

My cats are healthy , they eat the best ... and I already self medicate with sucess .

So ..... what does one do ????????????????? my daughter has been there (mozambique) she loved it and wants to go back , and so have several of my friends ....

If things go pear shaped we would have the money to get out which we dont have now .....

We would have satellite internet and TV ....a new house on a secure estate with aircon etc ....

Risky .... but ........... good risk ???? I think so ..... its going to take a while still , so we have lots to think baout before we make a decison ...

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Premier Cat

What is risky about it?
The stability of the area ~ like the people could riot or revolt or something?
Wildlife?
Snakes?

It sounds like a good move, financially. Your knowledge of pet care and the cooperation of your vet can keep your pets healthy. Is there shopping for household supplies nearby, and how close/good will the medical care be? It sounds good, but any big steps have to be thoroughly thought out. Make a list of the good/bad points about both going and staying and maybe that will help you visually see what you need to see to help decide.

Hubby and I almost moved to Jamaica for him to start-up/run a powerplant in serious need of a shake-up in management techniques. We ultimately decided not to go, mostly because I wouldn't be able to take my pets but ultimatley... he felt we'd both end up feeling too isolated from everything we'd left behind (friends, family, country) and it could put a strain on our new marriage.

Big decision, I don't envy you. I'm sure you'll both make the best choice for yourselves. Let us know what you decide.
h

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Banned

There's always risk with moving to another country (in finacial terms I mean) however you're obviously well prepared for it. I say you don't get that sort of opportunity everyday, so GO FOR IT!

Oh and I'm told that Mbique is a lovely country, and one of the safest in Africa.
Safer than S.A anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Premier Cat

You're not packed yet? If you don't go I bet you would regret it later in life. It sounds like such a wonderful opportunity.

Of course I am saying that since you will have internet and we will still be able to hear from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Heidi in all honesty its seems riskier to live in SA .. I was quite horrified to read that we are the most dangerous country in the world not at war .. sheesh ..... and we live here.

It is Africa however , and one change of president or government can change things rather horribly , but I was looking at the two SA companies hubs is interested in.. they are investing billions in Mozambique ..... so the outlook for them must be postive .

They have the same wildlife/bugs/snakes that we have here .... malaria is a problem , but then one takes the proper precautions.

Financially the risk is minimal ... we would have a "travelling" allowance , a moving house allowance , a living in another countyry allowance ..... a salary .. the package works out to about 20- 30 times what hubs is getting now ... free housing , free utilities, etc .....

We still have a lot to think about ..so now we research and wait

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You're wise to research it. It sounds tempting, but I still think you're wise to look at every aspect of the move.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Premier Cat

It sound like a wonderful oppurtuninty, Carol. MHO is you should go for it.
My reason for saying that is: Could moving there possibly be riskier than staying in S.A?
And there are those financial considerations...

What... you're not packed yet?

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

No its no more risky than staying here , in fact looking at the news now ..im think Columbia even sounds good

Its going to take sometime still ..... months possibly .. but in the meantime we are preparing ourselves.

PS ... my houseguests ??? Garth and Sandy ????? they will stay in SA .... I just cant find a suitable evil grin icon .....

2 boxers Miki & Monty
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to MelissaC
Well it seems like a great opportunity. I would take it. You may not get a chance to do this again. You can always chalk it up to a life experience. Because if you don't go your always going to be thinking what if......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page