Greyhound - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Greyhound

I love greyhounds. I think they are beauty in motion when you see them run. I thought this Utube was a hoot! I thought I had a challenge of keeping my cats of the counter! This has it beat. Very cute. What a stinker this doggie is!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KlA4bo...eature=related

Here is another Utube.. caution~ tugs at your heart at first but at the end with all the rescue dogs and the work being done this is well produced peiece.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NwPCxo...eature=related
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to HersheysKiss
The first video was cute. The grey looks alot like my Kipper who passed last year. The second video on the otherhand was very anti racing and very biased and not true. I turned it off when the screen came up saying that many are mutilated. Maybe in other countries ,but the NGA has strict rules and if an owner is found to breaking these rules there is big trouble. The greyhound racing industry is also regulated by government agencies. Many greyhound breeders today are doing pre-adoptions. Basically you adopt the dog as a pup, follow their career, visit them until they are ready to become big couch potatos. Others are making it easier for the transition the dogs have to face from going to a home from a kennel environment. Most dogs that raced have never seen a set of stairs or a glass sliding patio door, cats or small dogs or even a vacumme cleaner are all foreign to them. They expose them to some of these things and socialize them so they can be better pets down the line. THEY DO NOT TRAIN THEM WITH LIVE ANIMALS! Sight hounds in history were hunting animals. They chase and run down prey for their master. Therefore they are not always friendly with small fluffy dogs or cats. Not all though...my Kipper was afraid of my cats.
There is a HUGE rescue and retirement community that revolve around greyhounds. If a track is closing....these organizations scramble to get the dogs into homes. I think the 30,000 killed every year number is ridiculous. Maybe world wide where other countries don't have agencies watching over the industry or people have less regard for animals you might find that many being killed. Dog racing happens world wide...Australia and China are 2 big racing countries that I know of and probably more. I don't think that many are even bred in the US. I will have to ask my greyhound friends.

I am not pro or anti racing. As long as the dogs are treated well and find homes that is what is important. I am not defending the racing industry just trying to dispell the myths..and there are MANY. When I would walk Kip I would be asked many questions and many were just misconceptions about the dogs and their history. I would use those opertunities to educate people about these beautiful, gentle dogs.

Vanessa

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him. - Dereke Bruce
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Im near the border of the US and the greyhound owners here have done some pretty underhanded things to get rid of their dogs who werent producing. It was in our newspaper. They tried to sneak them down to Mexico to get rid of them to be put down. Plus they were in really bad shape. I keep reading newspaper account esp in Florida of dogs not cared for properly or hurt and not vetted to help them. It is very sad.

Ive seen changes over the years but it still has abuses happening. Not every breeder is good. Just like with other breeders with dogs. There are bad and good. Im not sure of the amount of dogs put down each year but it is still alot. Cant verify how they came to the 30,000 amount.

Greyhounds are one of my top favorite breed. I think they are beautiful. And their temperments are so sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page