What a dork!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What a dork!!!!

So, a few weeks ago my garbage disposal broke. My3babies had tried to grind up 2 syringes (not on purpose of course!). It made a grinding, crunching noise and then went silent...there was also a smokey smell. That was that. No action when you hit the switch. I was bummed.

So, for about 3 weeks we've been dealing with no garbage disposal. With all these cats, we end up throwing away a lot of wet food. Usually it goes down the GD...but since it's been broken, I've been putting it in ziploc bagies and tossing them. So...either way, it's been annoying.

Today, I finally decided to do something about it. I spent about 2 hours researching GDs and how to install them, comparing prices and looking for deals. I finally decided on a 3/4hp Kenmore...and decided that I had better make sure it was an upgrade (wasn't sure what hp I had).

So, I go look under the sink...1/2hp...hey...what's this red button here...push it in...nothing happens...hmmm....turn on the water and hit the switch....and voila...working GD.

What a dork I am!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Premier Cat

Hey, be proud of yourself for looking at the GD before you bought the replacement. I think you should be proud of yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Cool Cat

And here I was thinking how clever you were! Don't feel bad, I once drove my car without using the heat for 2 years because my AC was broken. I thought the AC and the heat were the same unit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Banned

Re: What a dork!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty's Mom
So, I go look under the sink...1/2hp...hey...what's this red button here...push it in...nothing happens...hmmm....turn on the water and hit the switch....and voila...working GD.

What a dork I am!
Oh not at all. I guess it would be easy to miss the switch. After all, out of sight, out of mind. But anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of thermal overload breakers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Premier Cat

What is it about sisters!!! My sister was taking care of my cats while i was out of town. She spilled grape juice in her purse and washed it out.

Well... when I got home and ran the disposal it made a horrilbe grinding noise. She had let a penny get washed into the disposal! You cant even tell its a penny now. Grrrrrrr.... I had to fish it out with tongs.

My disposal has a button on the bottom where you cant see it. The manufacturers dont make it easy to locate. Glad you found it!

If you ever have to buy a disposal make sure its 3/4 hp or more. Stainless steel insides. Guarentees are essential. Insinkator are good ones to buy. Last a long time.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 AM
Banned

I love those things. When I was staying with friends in the US, we spent hours playing with that thing I think the dried spaghetti and a full juice carton were the most entertaining. The fun was ended after he put a spoon down there....

(This all happened when his parents were out I must add).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yep...I almost bought the 3/4 hp Insinkerator...before I found the button. I'm just glad I found it before I bought the new one and had a guy out to install it. THAT would have been really embarrassing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

I had moved into a new (to me) condo and one day the dishwasher stopped working. I fiddled around with it a bit, didn't find anything, so I called a repair guy. He found that there was no power going to the DW, checked breakers etc. and said I needed to call an electrician.

A couple days later I got laid off from my job, so I figured I certainly had time to wash the dishes myself and ought to save the money. Between being laid off for 2-3 months and then getting caught up financially, it was 6 months before I called an electrician.

He found that the DW was wired to a switch near the kitchen sink (totally out of code) and the switch was turned off. And I suddenly remembered....

My father had been over helping me do some stuff in the house and asked about the switch. I said I didn't know what it was for, and hadn't really taken the time to try and figure it out, but since it had been on when I moved in, I left it on. Guess who turned it off without telling me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Cat Addict

I thought of this thread last night because of our disposal. I was going to put some stuff down it, turned the water on, hit the switch and nothing. I knew about the reset button from dealing with this before so I hit that, turned the water on, flicked the switch and still nothing. It's dead as a doornail.

We just had this one installed maybe 2 months ago at the most because the last one, which was about 5 years old, died. I'm getting tired of these disposals. Has anyone else heard of one only lasting a couple months?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Banned

I once spent half an hour on the phone to a computer engineer to try and work out what was wrong with a piece of software.

Turns out that there were two .exe files. One was just an update (10Mb), and the other was the program (200MB). Guess which one I double clicked on to "install" it.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page