Interesting "spur-of-the-moment' weekend! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Interesting "spur-of-the-moment' weekend!

Last weekend while buying fireworks we saw someone Ken works with and I told her "if you know anyone who needs clothing for little kids send them over to my house. I want to get all that stuff out of my basement."

The cashier behind the counter heard me say this and asked "Are you serious?" and I said "definitely." We agreed for her to come over to our place this past Friday, look everything over and buy what she wanted. Ken drug everything up from the basement (OMG! I had forgotten how much stuff was down there that used to be the kids'!) Thursday night and put it all in the garage.

The gal we met at the fireworks place came over with her brother who was a brand-new father of 2 weeks to a baby boy. Between those two I made $83 and got rid of LOTS of stuff!

By the time they left it was 10 p.m. and Ken and I looked at each other and thought, "you know, as long as all this stuff is in the garage we might as well have a rummage sale." Ken high-tailed it to Wal-Mart to get some posterboard so I could make signs to be posted in the area advertising the sale.

I didn't even bother to price tag everything. I basically told people if they were interested in something to let me know and I'd quote them a low price. We made over $250 between Friday and Saturday and I got rid of about half the kids clothes as well as both baby swings, both highchairs, a baby bathtub, a couple activity centers and one of the car seats.

After we got back from a benefit to raise money for a cousin whose daughter needs medical attention in New York alternating with Chicago every 6 months I opened the garage door again and sat there for 4 hours hours. Today was a dud, though - just $5.

The North Dakota State Fair kicks off in town next weekend so we actually left everything else in the garage to try again on Saturday when the town should be crawling with fairgoers. I'm also looking around the house to see if there's anything else that we can let go of just to take back some space in here. My ultimate goal is to clean the basement out enough to be able to turn it into a rec room for my kids. I would love to get all their toys downstairs so the main floor doesn't get so cluttered.

One of my aunts thought I was a bit looney for deciding at the last minute to throw a rummage sale but I tend to work better under pressure. If I try to plan things in advance I usually end up waiting 'til the last minute anyway which must prove I like the tension!

All in all, I didn't think it was a bad weekend. Pretty easy way to make some money when you get to sit outside and enjoy the weather, chit-chat with some people and knit a scarf during the lull times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Premier Cat

Go Girl! Great job pulling in the big $
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I should have a yard sale. Very good idea, Jo! I need to get up and go!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Cat Addict

Nice!
I hope our yard sale goes that well- spent half the day today going through pricing and sorting stuff. I couldn't imagine doing it as a spur of the moment thing!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Premier Cat

We get a lot accomplished at last-minute-deadlines, too.

Friday the horse had to come home from where she was. They had new horses coming in for training and needed the room. I'd been terribly sick, had just lost 10# in less than 2wks and hadn't been able to eat anything for several days.

Friday, a friend came over with her teenage son and they helped Kenny clean out the barn, get four huge round bales of hay, move watertubs into place and built a fence.

We don't like working like this at the last minute, but we sure get lots done!
Good job on the $-making and getting rid of the old stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page