Sign of maturity or snobbishness? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sign of maturity or snobbishness?

This past weekend was Ken's 30-year high school reunion. I know I've mentioned our age difference before but in case you forgot, he's nearly 15 years old than me.

We had just begun dating a few months before his 20-year reunion so I knew some of his classmates from before and I remember having a great time!

Once again, I had a blast on Saturday night! Actually much more enjoyable than the get-together I had with a few of my own classmates last year 15 years after we graduated.

I seem to gel and fit in better with Ken's age group. I don't know if that's a sign of maturity or of snobbishness, possibly thinking I'm "beyond" my own classmates.

What I mean is that when my class got together some of them were sitting around gossiping about this one and that one, drinking like fish and cussing like sailors, actually making me feel uncomfortable and like we were still in high school in some aspects.

Some of Ken's classmates had a few drinks, obviously, but nobody was drunk beyond comprehension and some of the stories about old times and conversations had me in stitches. They made me feel like one of them even though, in all honesty, I'm just about young enough to be one of their own children and the kids Ken and I have are the same age as some of their grandchildren.

So I am being "uppity" or have I just matured more than those I grew up with in that small town?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Cat

I'm a bit the same, younger people seem to regard excessive alcohol consumption as a sine qua non to gaving a good time. It seems to be a problem in the UK and elsewhere too, though not so much in mainland Europe where they have a healthier view of alcohol.

I'm amazed at the behaviour of some of my work colleagues in their 30s who happily confess to getting drunk several times a week.

Or maybe I'm just a young fogey... (aged 42).

Alex
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Premier Cat

I'll vote for mature!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned

I'll go for a bit of both. Young people (unless they're 10 or something) can actually be pretty useful. Having said that, most of them are chavs or itiots.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Sign of maturity or snobbishness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me

So I am being "uppity" or have I just matured more than those I grew up with in that small town?
I dont think its either. I think you are just being you. Most people of my age group are still into getting completely wasted on a weekend on drink. I've never done that. Can't see whats so great about getting so horribly drunk that you make a fool of yourself and then wake up feeling like death the next day.

But thats just me. And i'm certainly no snob (or particularly mature! )

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Cool Cat

I agree with melysion's answer---it's you! and I think maturity too Their actions are immature and you certainly are doing better in maturity than they are...but if you fit in with the folks of a slightly different age range and group, that's just you, too. Ask not why you don't fit in with your group...ask why they don't fit in with you ~grin~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityQuiet
Ask not why you don't fit in with your group...ask why they don't fit in with you ~grin~
I tend to agree with this line of thinking as well but when I talked to my mom about this situation yesterday she thought it was great that I got along with Ken's age group but not such a good thing that I don't find much in common with my own age group.

I don't think she meant it as an insult to me, as if to say I need to learn how to loosen up or anything, because she is just as straight-laced as me. It may be that she was pointing out the idea that the "majority" of families with young kids around here ARE my age and that it's better for me to try to be more social with them for the benefit of my kids' social lives.

The way I sort of view this is on the flipside of that idea. Once my kids get into school they'll be bringing friends home to play with and going to their houses now and then and I will meet others that way. I realize that in no way is everyone my age a partier such as those I went to high school with and I'm hoping I be able to weed out those people in a few years and find some people I have more in common with who are my age.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I like young people very much, love working with high school choirs, etc. However, I believe some of them think that swearing and drinking a lot make them seem mature. It has the exact opposite effect though, doesn't it? It gives the impression of immaturity.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Have you always fit in better with older people? I have alway hung out with older people because I just dont get along with kids my age, all they want to do is go partying or clubbing. I think its Maturity.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Cat

im the same way but my bf is well way older than me im 27yr and he is 52yr but we share the same ways he is a loner in a way and he will do anything for our aniamls even though he hates the cats he will do what ever needs to be done if they are sick. and i always liked hanging with older people. i dont drink or party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page