cheese curds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

cheese curds

A while back there was a lengthy discussion of cheese curds on this forum. Some people were nuts about them, and many of the rest of us had no idea what the heck they were

Since then I've been curious to try some. I was in Wisconsin last week and made a point of visiting a cheesemaker...yum! They were made that morning and had the characteristic squeak of freshness.

We bought two bags, but they were long gone before we made it back east

I swear I would move to Wisconsin just for the cheese...wish I had bought more

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Cat Addict

It took me years to try cheese curds for the first time and Minnesota is the only state separting me from Wisconsin! I think I avoided them because of the word "curd." It sounded to me like cottage cheese which I'm not that fond of.

Well, a few years ago at the ND State Fair I finally tried them; Wow! Since then we've gotten an A&W Restaurant to come back to town and they have cheese curds on their menu. I make it a point to get some every once in a while.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to HersheysKiss
I LOVE cheese curds. Luckily since I live in WI I can get them fresh every Saturday at the Farmers Market. There is a local cheesemaker that makes white cheddar cheese curds. They are the best. What cheesemaker did you go to? I know a lot of them do mail orders if you want to get more. They are the best when they are really fresh and squeeky but if they are refrigerated you can just let them come up to room temp and they will get their squeek back. I have heard of some people putting them in the microwave for a few seconds to get the squeek back.

The best way(other than fresh and squeeky) I have had them served was beer battered and fried. You know us WI people like our beer and cheese(and bratwurts). Any excuse to have them all in one dish is great. Beer and cheddar soup is another WI YUMMMM!

Vanessa

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him. - Dereke Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Cat Addict

Cheese curds are absolutely amazing. Seriously. They're hard to come by here in Ohio, though. A few years ago, the local A&W came out with cheese curds, and they were pretty good for fast food fare. Even a little squeaky.

I'm heading to Minnesota late next week, I might have to go trolling for county fairs!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
The best way(other than fresh and squeeky) I have had them served was beer battered and fried.
Holy moly........they are so yummy battered and deep fried, but you have to start with good cheese curds first.....none of those fake imitations!

Try them in the microwave for a few sec. then lightly sprinkle with garlic salt!!! Yum!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Culver's sells the best cheese curds.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I always thought Little Miss Muffett was eating cottage cheese! I have never seen cheese curds for sale in my area. I would like to try them at least once.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to HersheysKiss
here you go....everything you wanted to know about cheese curds

http://www.eatcurds.com/

Vanessa

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him. - Dereke Bruce
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Premier Cat

I have never even heard of cheese curds, I must have missed the other thread. Can we even get this in the UK? I have to say I will have to take all your words for it that it tastes good becuase my first thought was "ewwww it looks like cheese flavoured toffee"

Stephie

... by Doodle
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

ahahah! my thoughts exactly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page