Overly concerned mom (rant)... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Overly concerned mom (rant)...

I didn't want to hijack the thread started by Megan because, although I have a gripe about my mom, it's not the same thing.

Yesterday I was talking with mom on the phone about how Peanut (the new pup) is doing so much better with this, that and the other thing, and how she had her initial vet visit for the parvo booster on Monday.

The conversation spun off into going to the country concerts at the Fair, of which mom is going to go to one with me while Ken goes to the other 3 with me, and then steered off into how next Tuesday our daycare lady is taking the day off to spend the day at the ND State Fair with her own family and, therefore, she would not be working.

That's the day of the demolitian derby anyway and Ken and I had already discussed taking the kids earlier that day to see the animal barns and ride some kiddie rides, then coming home to let them get a nap and taking them back in the evening so that Ken could take Nate to the demo derby and meanwhile I'll just go around the fair with Emma doing other things.

My mom got dead silent when I told her this and I knew EXACTLY what she was thinking. I'm in a chair so I need someone there with me to help watch over Emma. She asked "Do you want me there with you?" after which I said a sharp "no" because I want to spend time alone with my daughter. We do so many things as a family and each of the kids deserves some alone time with one of the parents now and then. Tuesday night seemed like the perfect opportunity.

I told her how I'm sick and tired of her acting like I'm not capable to which she stated "it's not you, it's all the strangers at the Fair I'm worried about." Well, maybe, but that still doesn't mean I can't handle my own daughter. She said "what if Emma gets sidetracked and stops to look at something and you don't see her do that and just continue on. First off, since I'm in a chair and would obviously be in a crowd of people I would never let myself do that. Secondly, perfectly able-bodied people have lost their children before (Heaven forbid!). Yes, Emma is a go-getter but she does have sense enough to understand that when we're in a big place with a lot of people she needs to stay close to me. We've been to the mall alone a few times and she does fine. She listens well and stays right by me.

I told Mom she was making me mad and I needed to get off the phone before I said anything else I'd later regret, and I hung up. After that, I looked at Ken and said "Don't even say anything. I had every right to be angry," and he agreed. In the past, he's gotten mad at me for being hard on my mom but half the time it's the same conversation. She's freaked about how I'm gonna handle things because I'm in a wheelchair!

Is she ever going to let up? For Heaven's sake, I'm almost 34 years old. You would think by now that she could look at all that I've accomplished in life and realize I'm doing just fine. I may not have use of my legs but God put a decent head on my shoulders and I'm very capable that way. I know mothers are said to always be protective but why can't they (or maybe it's just my mom) look the situation over and realize they have to let their child figure things out for themselves once in a while? I refuse to be coddled for the rest of my life, the biggest reason being that if my own kids pick up on her doing that then they might second-guess my abilities as they get older, or second-guess their own. I will not let that happen to my kids because that's exactly what Ken's mom did to him. You have no idea how much work I put into that man to get him to realize he's independent and perfectly capable of handling himself.

OK, now that that's off my chest, I really need to buckle down and get back to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Overly concerned mom (rant)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
Is she ever going to let up?
No. Try to remember it is only because she loves you and is worried about your limitations.
I'm sure she knows what you have accomplished, but every parent worries about any difficulties their child may endure. It is normal and you'll do it one day with your own kids. By the same token, you will also understand the importance of self-confidence and self-reliance: being able to tackle and accomplish a feat on their own, but you will still have that urge to 'interfere' and make things easier.

My Mother infuriates me with some of her suggestions (I have too many cats) and ideas (change my health care w/out telling my Dr because someone she knows said...). When we get onto those old 'buttons', I change the subject. Or I tell her I know what her position is on the subject and I don't care to hash it out again and switch to talking about something else.
You'll just have to find what works for you to defuse that 'hot button'.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Tom Cat

No it probably will NEVER stop. There are plenty of normal people out there that have "over-protective, doom and gloom, you need to stay in your house where it's safe" kinda parents. It's a pain in the hiney.

Love her and ask her to let go. Tell her that it's something you'll have to do with your own child one day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Cool Cat

Yikes. While I can see others' points of views...just doing it out of love & all that...I think you're right to let her know how that makes you feel! That's so demeaning! And how can it NOT be about you--if you weren't in a wheelchair, would she have asked if she could help then? There is a difference between trying to babysit you and letting you know she's there to help.

Maybe...when you're going to do something that you know she'll volunteer to "help" with, beat her to it and talk about how much you're looking forward to doing it alone! That's what I do when people want to take the wind out of my sails & "help" me with stuff. It shuts them up every time, they can't volunteer themselves without coming off as rude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

In the future I would just tell her about things like that after they have already happened. It might cut down on the arguing.

You are probably more aware of your surroundings than most people because of being in a wheelchair.

I hope you enjoy the fair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityQuiet
Yikes...I think you're right to let her know how that makes you feel! That's so demeaning!
Thanks TQ. I, too, can understand to a point where she's coming from but at the same time what about the phrase "if you love them let them go." I know it's a cliche but it's true. Everyone has to be given the chance to try things their own way on their own terms even if those who care about them know there is a risk. Often times people learn best from taking risks. Heck, technically any person could get killed going outside to get their mail. All it would take is a crazy driver going to fast or cutting to close to the curb.

As for trying to reason with my mom, calmly letting her now my feelings, yadda, yadda, yadda, you don't know my mom. You don't reason with her. In any (and I do mean any) argument I have ever had with her she's absolutely not willing to see my side. I still get called "little girl' in the heat of an argument now and then. Tell me THAT's not demeaning at 34 years of age with my own kids!

As far as Leazie's reply, yes, I am VERY aware of my surroundings. It's just engrained in me. I'm a people watcher, not for entertainment purposes but instead to keep track of where I am in relation to them.

Also, this is Minot, ND, for Heaven's sake, not Minneapolis, Chicago, LA or NY. People still leave their cars and houses unlocked around here sometimes. I'm not foolish enough to believe something bad can't happen here but, honestly, most people around here watch out for each other and show genuine concern, even at the State Fair.

Above all this, though, is the fact that Emma is my daughter. I am not going to let something sidetrack me into losing track of her.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Cool Cat

Erm, I don't know you all that well, so perhaps this is a rude question, but...is this your first week in the chair, or have you been handling it for awhile?

There are plenty of people in wheelchairs who live perfectly normal lives, they just have wheels stuck to their butts. They do things like grocery shop, drive cars, go to the movies, work, attend baseball games, go out to eat, take their kids to the fair. Shocking, eh? Is it a little trickier? Sure, but primarily because of accessibility, not because they lack the ability.

Rock on, go to the fair with your daughter. Be who you are and don't let your mom make you feel any less. She may think she is coming from a place of caring about you, but she's having the opposite effect.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty
Erm, I don't know you all that well, so perhaps this is a rude question, but...is this your first week in the chair, or have you been handling it for awhile?
I've been in this chair for the last 13 (almost 14 actually) years of my life so I'm a rookie of sorts at this thing, especially dealing with accessibility in not-so accessible places, although the fairgrounds are set up wonderfully.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
I've been in this chair for the last 13 (almost 14 actually) years
14 years of experience driving those wheels and she still doesn't trust you at the fair?

Parents just don't understand.....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty
Quote:
I've been in this chair for the last 13 (almost 14 actually) years
14 years of experience driving those wheels and she still doesn't trust you at the fair?

Parents just don't understand.....
Yeah, well it's more than just trusting me to get around the fair. She knows I can do that. What she's freaked about is that someone is going to come along and abduct Emma and I can't do anything about it. My argument to that still is and will always be that's something that can happen to anyone, wheelchair or not.

BTW, I overshot my estimate on years in the chair. This happened to me in November of '95 so it's almost 13 years. Still a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page