Weeds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Weeds

I need ways to get rid of weeds. They are growing like mad in-between the patio stones in the backyard, and now are letting their fluffy white seeds loose into the air. Most of them look fairly prickly and are taller then Drifter! They also seem to be attracting all sorts of bugs including hornets.

I tried a bit of bleach a few nights ago on a small area to see how well it would work and it did a fairly good job, I tried vinegar tonight as I've been told that it kills weeds effectively and won't hurt the environment. Also been told that it gets rid of ants too and we had loads of ant hills around the weeds and patio stonesWe'll see how the vinegar works. Only now the backyard smells like a french-fry place that was bathed with bleach.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Cat Addict

A lot of garden-variety backyard weeds will be killed off by spraying Roundup but you have to be very careful when getting close to flowers you intend to be there. I've used Roundup in my flower beds at times and have taken a sheet of cardboard to separate the weed from the plant and then sprayed. We also have a lawn service company in town spray our yard each summer. If I remember right, they come 4 times between spring and fall and we have excellent control from dandelions!

I probably should make clear that I'm not sure what Roundup would do in the yard as far as killing your grass or not. If you're just looking to get rid of weeds in the cracks of the cement, rock beds, etc., it's fine. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to call a lawn service to handle the yard.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Cool Cat

Best way to get rid of weeds: don't think of them as weeds. Guaranteed to not see one single weed in your garden then!

Seriously, though. Rethink the weed concept. Some are undesirable, but sometimes they'll surprise you. I always let plants grow as they want, unless they're harmful. One time two unsightly things popped up in my garden, then grew to be three foot tall unsightly things...then sprouted dozens of the most glorious spun-gold looking daisy-like flowers I've ever seen, they shined like silk and had flowers the size of my palm. Never seen them before, never saw them again afterwards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

I thought this thread was about the t.v. show.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I thought this thread was about the t.v. show.
I hoped it was about plants and was worried it was a TV show

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

lol I've never watched that show, always looked interesting though.

I could care less about them except they are getting huge and taking over the patio and attracting hornets which in turn attack Drifter when he goes out. If he steps on the weeds he yelps so I assumed that they are spikey. So it's in his best interest to get rid of them. That and I'm sure the coop doesn't like one of their townhomes looking like wild field.

I'll try the roundup.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac*
I could care less about them except they are getting huge and taking over the patio and attracting hornets which in turn attack Drifter when he goes out. If he steps on the weeds he yelps so I assumed that they are spikey.

Awww Now that is awful...

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Cat Addict

I just hope you know that mixing bleach and vinegar is very dangerous.

-steve

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I never put them ontop of each other, I tried the bleach out in one sarea and the vinegar out in another area
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Umm do I spray the roundup on the weed or on the dirt around the weeds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page