The Brett Favre saga... (hopefully final update) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The Brett Favre saga... (hopefully final update)

What is going on with this guy?

First off, a lot of people here already now that I'm a diehard Vikings fan who despises the Packers (a.k.a. cheeseheads, Tim! ) but I have to admit that Brett Favre was one of the best quarterbacks the league has ever seen and will probably continue to be for years to come.

However, I lost a tremendous amount of respect for him after he gets the whole country wrapped up in this idea of him retiring, giving his tearjerking speech (I watched the whole thing and cried with him) only to wait until training camp to stir things up again.

He has to be absolutely crazy to think that Green Bay would just release him in the middle of his contract and not get anything for him in return. I've heard that Minnesota is actually in the running for him to be traded there and I kind of hope they would get him, not for his personality but for his football skills.

I'm so glad that Green Bay has basically said they don't want him anymore. What were they supposed to do? Just sit on their thumbs and wait for the season to start, not having worked Aaron Rodgers into the lineup at all? I wish Aaron Rodgers all the best but I do hope Minnesota creams their butts twice this season!

Back to Brett, here's my humble opinion - I think he should leave while his body is still intact. He's not aiming for the SuperBowl ring that just won't come (already has one) and he'd be leaving in top form. If he really thought about this, and loves the game as much as he claims, afraid he's going to miss all the action every Sunday, then I think he should apply for a coaching position. He obviously has the skills and I'd be willing to bet that just about any team considering a new coach would be thrilled to get him. However, I've heard that Brett isn't really good at taking anyone under his wings. instead copping an attitude, so maybe he's to "good" for coaching.

OK, done with my rant about Brett!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Re: The Brett Favre saga...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
However, I lost a tremendous amount of respect for him after he gets the whole country wrapped up in this idea of him retiring, giving his tearjerking speech (I watched the whole thing and cried with him)
This is how a lot of us in San Diego felt after Junior Seau did the same thing. His [in]famous 4-day retirement, after which he signed with a different team.

I don't know much about Brett's situation, but I have noticed an awful lot of headlines in the sports section about him lately....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Premier Cat

As a Packers fan, personally, I feel he should have just kept his mouth quiet, and retire. It was his decision, and he's doing himself a great disservice. He went out on top, which is the way to go in my book. Thousands of people adored him for what he did for the Packers, and for the type of person he is in general. I think this is making him look like a fool. What does he expect? To be able to come back to Green Bay, put Rogers in the back up position all over again, play for another year, and then next year go through this whole........"should I retire or should I not retire" bit all over again. I think Rogers has been very patient over the years, siting back behind Brett, now it's his turn, and I think he's going to do a good job. Time will tell.

Now, having said that, before he decided to retire, I was all for Brett coming back for another year!

GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Cat Addict

I don't know if you saw the interview with Brett Favre, in March he was rushed into making a decision because the Packers needed an answer to come up with a game plan for the 2008 season, at that time he was tired and wasn't 100% sure about coming back and play, he would have liked to have until training camp to make a decision but he was not given the option.
Now he changes his mind, I don't see why this is a big deal, he said: if you want to go with Aaron Rogers that's fine, the Packers do not want him in Green Bay but they don't want him to play in another team, IMHO this is a bunch of crap, I can't believe they are doing this to him after all those years of service!! they want to protect who's legacy? Not Favre's that's for sure , this is very selfish and I hope he gets to play!!!

Maria
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
I don't know if you saw the interview with Brett Favre, in March he was rushed into making a decision because the Packers needed an answer to come up with a game plan for the 2008 season, at that time he was tired and wasn't 100% sure about coming back and play, he would have liked to have until training camp to make a decision but he was not given the option.
I don't think that anyone is not greatful.........at all! I think that every Packers fan that you would ask would say, "heck yes, we're thankful he chose to be Packer's quarterback for all those years!" You always could tell the pride he had for being in Green Bay. You saw every fan in that stadium at the end of the season chanting for Brett........"1 more year!" I think those same Packers fans would take Brett back in a heart beat, given that circumstances were different. I think the seasons before he just took so long to make a decision, it seemed like everyone was waiting for Brett to decide what he wanted to do, and it probably effected the timeline of decisions that needed to be made by management and coaches. Maybe that's what they were trying to prevent this year. Maybe it wasn't fair of management to put a time limit on him...........heck........maybe Ted Thompson should be the one retiring! I know that would please my husband to no end!

All that I know is that I truly hate to see this happening! Period! I think Brett is a wonderful human being......and so is his wife!
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertweeky
I can't believe they are doing this to him after all those years of service!! they want to protect who's legacy? Not Favre's that's for sure , this is very selfish and I hope he gets to play!!!
Maybe it isn't fair how management pressured him into making a decision but no one forced him to say he was going to retire. From a coaching standpoint, they needed to know whether or not to work Aaron Rodgers into the plays or whether Brett would still be there. Brett announced retirement back in March or whenever it was so Green Bay went ahead with that, planning on Rodgers to construct plays and to "gel" with the rest of the team.

I do think Favre is definitely at the top of the list of best quarterbacks to ever play the game but he's the one who announced his retirement, only to withdraw it now, and it's causing a lot of people (only speaking of the Pack fans I know around here) to lose respect for him. He could have a long career in coaching but at 38 years old he only has maybe a couple good years left in him. He should be thankful he's still in good shape and retire proudly in top form. Many quarterbacks are not so lucky.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Did anyone see the ESPY awards? OMGosh! Justin Timberlake (don't scoff, he was an excellent host - I've watched it twice now) gave him SUCH a hard time, and he was a great sport about it. And JT gave Rodgers several sympathetic hugs.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

Brett has gotten heat here in the Green Bay area for his theatrics. If he's smart, which I'm not so sure of right now, he'll just shut up and let the dust settle. He's a shoo-in to any football hall of fame you care to mention, with a legacy that will go up on the stadium walls along with Lambeau, Starr, and the rest. But if he goes and plays somewhere else, just because of his selfish desire to keep playing football (and I've gotta think it's also about the money) then he'll be greatly diminished here, where he made his name. Is he going to going to new heights of fame and glory somewhere else? Of course not. Ridiculous. He'll just be another old quarterback riding on his laurels and trying not to get hurt.

If he wants to stay in football, he can coach. I think he'd be an excellent quarterbacks coach to start with. He has so much experience to pass on. Then as an offensive coordinator. He can read defensive lineups so well. Then after he's paid his dues in the coaching ranks, as a head coach. He's such a competitor. He has a long career ahead in football if he wants it; just not as a player.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Tim, I couldn't agree more with your statements, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Vikes fan.

I'll admit I don't understand fully what's been going on in the news lately, nor the possible ramifications of such actions but my husband was telling me that if the NFL poobahs together and decide that Favre was at fault in this fiasco of communicating with the Vikings that it could cost him the Hall of Fame or at least not be a shoe-in when he's eligible in 5 years.

From what I understand, on the flipside, if the Vikes are found at fault for the communication between Favre and their organization then it could cost them a draft pick. Yeah, like that's all we need!

I think Favre should just keep his mouth shut and bow out gracefully after all this mess! Any team looking for a coach would be more than happy to get him on staff.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

If those poobahs deny Brett the Hall they're going to find a large number of very, very large men at their front doors one of these days. These very, very large men will NOT be happy men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page