Why? Why! WHY, do I always break the lawn-mower? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Why? Why! WHY, do I always break the lawn-mower?

Ugh. I caught the brake pedal in the horse's wire fence this evening. I got it stopped, backed up and un-stuck, but then it started running rough coming up the little bit of a hill by the big tree and then it died and wouldn't start at all.

I also still have a swath in the middle of the front yard that needs to be done. I had planned on cutting that on my way to parking the mower in the garage. I just told Hubby about it (he just got home from work) and he didn't sound pleased. Muttering something about a lynch-pin, or maybe it was lynching me from the tree?
Anyhow, looks like tomorrow morning we'll have to drag/push the mower into the garage and lift it up for him to perform some surgery on it.

But those are the rules in our marriage: I break it. He fixes it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

It does not seem like anything too major. Most likely fuel delivery. Of course, it could be something else.

The best thing is when I hit a stump with my push mower. It would not start period because the crank pin that connects the crankshat to the cam gear broke. But...it is not a big deal to disassemble the engine and replace the crank pin. I have built plastic models that are more complex than a lawn mower engine.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

At least he didn't find out about the last time.

Should you even being doing this so soon after your surgery?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Shhh! Not so loud! ...he might hear you... *looks guiltily around*

I'm doing very well, muscle-wise. Still a little tight and can't lay on my belly over pillows to read books yet, but getting there. I only have to be careful about lifting very heavy things, driving the bouncy mower is, well, just bouncy.

I think it will be the crank pin thing. That is what he was muttering about, having to take the whole thing apart, blah, blah, blah... I checked oil yesterday, which was fine and after it stopped I checked fuel, and still have well over half a tank in there so I doubt that is the problem.
I've hit the edge of the concrete before and he had to fix that pin thing, then. I'm sure I've hit a tree or post, too, and did the same thing. Oh, and once I ran over a metal gate that was set down into long grass (I didn't know) and no one picked up. He knows how to fix it, he just doesn't like doing it.
I suppose it is similar to me having to mend clothes or replace lost buttons. I know how, I just don't like doing it. I'll sit with him tomorrow while grumbles and fixes it.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Premier Cat

Ok...........Heidi..........I think I just spewed my Diet Pepsi on my computer monitor! Here all along I've been thinking I'm the only one with "lawnmower issues!" I am notorious for running into things with that dang mower, and either pushing it in to far and crunching, or getting it stuck on the front bumper of the mower and pulling it back........breaking whatever I ran into! I'm obcessed with getting close to things to mow as much as I can. Our last mower before we bought this new one, I got caught under the hay baler......trying to get the long grass under there. Got stuck, put it in reverse, broke the head light, and crunched the hood. The hood always did set crooked on the front end after that! I also got so close to the house one time that I cracked off the dryer vent! And I don't know why I'm so anal about this, because hubby does the trimming! Just one of those things I guess!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I was trying to mow the grass under the fence/hot-wire where I don't want the horse pushing her head under...

...it is a 'thing'. If you CUT the most grass you can, you have less to weed-whack. I don't weed-whack. Lately, I've had to pay a teenager to do it because Hubby won't get out there and do it. In between I've been spraying round-up.

The bushes around our house HATE me. I always scalp right under them, getting brushed by their leaves, dreading falling spiders (but I brave them anyways) to cut as much grass as I can. I must mow!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Cool Cat

I think this is a message that someone else is meant to mow.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

What! Give up my grass?

I find mowing to be soothing. Something about those straight lines of cut grass reminds me of the lines in the carpet after I vaccum. I just about bit my fingernails off when I came home to recover from surgery and Hubby mowed the lawn.
I had to go inside. I couldn't watch. He was doing it wrong.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
What! Give up my grass?
That sounds sooooo much like me and my mom. I grew up on a farm that had a few-acre lot for the designated "yard." Often times I would cut the grass with the riding lawn mower (took about 6 hours a week) and mom would do all the trimming with a push mower.

Some of my fondest memories are of hopping on the riding lawn mower with my Walkman (do they even make those anymore? ) and enjoying some music while mowing.

Hubby and I live in town so there's no need for a riding lawn mower. I really miss it some days.

My dad NEVER mowed the grass while I was growing up. That was always mom's thing. There are so many situations I'm aware of where the male of the household does the mowing and they'd think it strange that Mom always did ours, but that's the way she preferred it. That yard looked as good as a well-kept city park with all the flowers, etc!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Premier Cat

Isn't cutting a great big lawn on the riding mower the best?!?!?! Growing up we lived in the country and it would take me about 4 hours to cut the lawn. I loved it.

We had a drainage ditch that cut the side lawn in two. I always had to get as far into the ditch as I could- leaning all the way to one side to keep the mower from sliding into the ditch.

Don't forget to bring your hubby something cold to drink while we fixes the lawnmower.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page