My wallet has been stolen!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My wallet has been stolen!!

So, my husband and I sail our sailboat at a lake about 1 hour from our house. We take his truck because we usually have a lot of gear to haul with us. We lock the truck but not the trunk. We throw the car keys in our toolbox that is inside the trunk. Well…someone must have been watching us, watched where we put the keys, and watched us sail away, and then made their move.

We didn’t notice anything was gone until we pulled up in our driveway after the drive home and my husband saw he received an e-mail from Bank of America saying there was some suspicious activity on our credit card so they froze our account. We were a little concerned but not really at this point. So, I started gathering all my stuff and headed inside…only to realize, “Hmm, my purse feels light…” It dawned on me that I bet my wallet was stolen. Unzipped it and sure enough, it was gone. I went out and told Jeff, then went back in my house, yelling about every explicit under the sun, possible. Oliver was very concerned at this point!!

Thankfully, the scoundrels did not touch our camera, $6000 worth of wedding rings, or my husbands I-phone. They didn’t even steal my phone. They just unlocked the car, unzipped my purse, grabbed the wallet, zipped it back up and left.

I called the credit card companies to cancel our 2 credit cards while Jeff called the bank to cancel our 2 checking accounts. The cards were already being used. On just one card, two charges went through and 5 were pending. And I guess the reason why BOA froze our account is because Sam’s Club has a thing were you can take your credit card to the service desk and ask “Is this still working?” and they will swipe it for a $1 fee and tell you “yes, it’s still active”, so the trash who stole the cards can go start spending. DUMBEST thing EVER for Sam’s club to do! Two of the four cards had those $1 charges on it.

So, all of our accounts are frozen. Thankfully, Jeff had an old Capitol One credit card that we never use so I never got around to him putting my name on the account so I never had that one in my wallet. So, that’s all we have for money right now. Had to put the groceries on that credit card last night. We are taking off work early to go to the bank and get new checking accounts and new debit cards. And, we have to put a stop payment on all of the checks (there was a whole book of checks in my wallet).
Then, we have to call all the places that you have direct withdraw from, and change where they are withdrawing from.

It’s annoying! All my business cards, credit cards, debit cards, license, pictures, stamps, gone.

We’ve learned a valuable lesson, to never leave the car “unlocked” like that again but I've now lost all faith in humanity...and I wish very bad things to the people who did this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry to hear that. What a pain.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks, yeah, it's a pain more than anything. It's our fault for leaving the trunk unlocked but it's just un-settling knowing someone was watching us. Also, I had our garage door code written on a piece of paper that I stuck in my wallet. Now they have our address and that code and could break in. Luckly, we disabled the code.

Just when I think "It won't happen to me!"..... I need to change my outlook on people and not be so trusting I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Cat Addict

wow, hope everything works out. Theives suck and getting robbed is a miserable feeling.

Just be careful with that Capital One card, they recently changed their terms and practically doubled everyones interest rate across the board, whether you were in good standing or not. I will be canceling mine very soon.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Premier Cat

Do file a police report and let them know about the card activity at Sam's Club. To make purchases at Sam's, the person must be a member and SC will have records of their transactions and can look up the member number for that credit card purchase.
The stores also have surveillace cameras for positive photo identification.
Best wishes for an arrest...
h

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Premier Cat

That sucks, sorry to hear it.

Interesting about your address on a bit of paper. There are growing stories of peoples cars which have been broken into, they have left their satnav in it and have "home" programmed. It leads thieves straight to your house and they know you aren't home.

Only the week before last I found a purse outside a shop, had everything in it. I thought it was nice cause I handed it into the shop it was outside since this would be the most likely place the person would come looking for it, and the guy said I'm a true modern day samariton hehe.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Yes you need to file it with the police so they can inform the companies so that your social and dl wont get used
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to lunarbishop Send a message via Yahoo to lunarbishop
heather i'm so sorry!!! please do file a report because heidi is correct, you have to have a sam's card to get in and to make a purchase...and they should have receipts at sam's in their credit card batch report they have to run each day. There will probably even be pictures on camera of them. good luck with everything, and i hope they catch the scum that robbed you!!!!

~bekki & daizy & aramis~
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, believe me! The police were the first people I called and filed the report asap. I gave them all the credit card/debit card numbers that were stolen. I doubt they will ever get caught though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

This is nothing as serious, but the only thing I've ever had nicked was my camera during a school trip. I'd taken a full film and had ONE pic left on it, and the night before we were due to leave, some little $£^& stole it. I cried for a week.

I hope it never happens to you again, nor anyone else. It's a really horrible feeling that someone has something of yours without permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page