The newest thing-Fish pedicures! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

The newest thing-Fish pedicures!

ALEXANDRIA, Virginia - Ready for the latest in spa pampering? Prepare to dunk your feet in a tank of water and let tiny carp nibble away.

Fish pedicures are creating something of a splash in the Washington D.C. area, where a northern Virginia spa has been offering them for the past four months. John Ho, who runs the Yvonne Hair and Nails salon with his wife, Yvonne Le, said 5,000 people have taken the plunge so far.

"This is a good treatment for everyone who likes to have nice feet," Ho said.

He said he wanted to come up with something unique while finding a replacement for pedicures that use razors to scrape off dead skin. The razors have fallen out of favor with state regulators because of concerns about whether they're sanitary.

Ho was skeptical at first about the fish, which are called garra rufa but typically known as doctor fish. They were first used in Turkey and have become popular in some Asian countries.

But Ho doubted they would thrive in the warm water needed for a comfortable footbath. And he didn't know if customers would like the idea.

"I know people were a little intimidated at first," Ho said. "But I just said, 'Let's give it a shot.' "

Customers were quickly hooked.

Tracy Roberts, 33, heard about it on a local radio show. She said it was "the best pedicure I ever had" and has spread the word to friends and co-workers.

"I'd been an athlete all my life, so I've always had calluses on my feet. This was the first time somebody got rid of my calluses completely," she said.

'Feels like your foot's asleep'
First time customer KaNin Reese, 32, described the tingling sensation created by the toothless fish: "It kind of feels like your foot's asleep," she said.

The fish don't do the job alone. After 15 to 30 minutes in the tank, customers get a standard pedicure, made easier by the soft skin the doctor fish leave behind.

Ho believes his is the only salon in the country to offer the treatment, which costs $35 for 15 minutes and $50 for 30 minutes. The spa has more than 1,000 fish, with about 100 in each individual pedicure tank at any given time.

Dennis Arnold, a podiatrist who four years ago established the International Pedicure Association, said he had never heard of the treatment and doubts it will become widespread.

"I think most people would be afraid of it," he said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
wow I would try that if we had it.... sounds kinda cool
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Technically, you could do this at home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Cat Addict

All I have to say is "ewwwww!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Willow771
I have serious issues with imagining any living thing sucking or nibbling the dead skin and callus off of someones feet
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Premier Cat

I don't think this is a new idea, perhaps for pedicures/salons...but not terribly 'new'.
I remember reading several years ago about these types of fish being used to help treat people who suffer from psoriasis (excessive dry flaky skin).

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Cat

If I'm reincarnated I DONT want to come back as one of those fish, OK?

Mick.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Cat

Oh gawd. Another potentially harmful invasive species. Weren't the frankenfish enough??? Imagine if these things got into the rivers and lakes? I would never swim in fresh water again.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Premier Cat

I don't swim in any 'wild' water. I saw "Jaws" when I was ten. I can't even swim in a pool that has that sweepy-thing floating/swimming around.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~
I would definantly try this, but the poor fish after cleaning my feet...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page