For anyone who is a child of the '80s! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

For anyone who is a child of the '80s!

Ken and I went to the fair last night (alluded in a prior thread about the babysitter) and while we were there we saw this electronic game thing being sold. It's called the Power Player Super Joystick and looks like this:

http://www.americasmartshop.com/tvgame.html

The package that we saw said there were 76,000 games from the old Atari and original Nintendo systems built into this thing. We were smart enough to realize there is no way that 76,000 number could be correct since between those two systems there was no where near that amount of games but we did see some of list of games it does have and found out where they came up with that high number. On certain games like Super Mario Bros. they have it split up into different levels, calling each level a different game.

However, the idea of this thing intrigued both of us so much because we both LOVED our Ataris and Nintendos growing up, so we bought one. OMG! It is so fun! So far Ken has been playing Space Invaders, I tried Super Mario Bros. again and we both played some Pinball. Boy, I discovered just how slow my reaction time has gotten over the years of not playing these games. I actually conquered the first Super Mario Bros. back in the day and I couldn't get past level 1-2 tonight!

Even though the selling point of this game is soooo blown out of proportion it was still worth the $50 in my mind. The games I know are on there so far (haven't scrolled through the entire list) are Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, PacMan, Pinball, Super Mario Bros, Tetris (can't wait to play that one again, too!) Millipede, Burger Time and the list goes on and on. Sometime tomorrow I'm going to teach the kids how to play Duck Hunt. The set comes with a little gun for shooting games.

Another bonus is that on the first controller there is a slot where old Nintendo cartridges will plug into it, if you still have yours around. I threw mine away years ago when the Nintendo system quit working properly. Remember how after a few years of use the games wouldn't plug in properly and you had to pull the game out, blow on it and stick it back in, hoping it would work? Well, that happened to mine and I figured with all the new technology and the bigger and better game systems that were always coming out, that it would be outdated and not worth trying to fix anyway, so I threw the games. Dang! I really wish I hadn't now!

I seriously recommend this thing for anyone who grew up playing these games and misses the fun! You could have all your favorites wrapped into one!

For now, I must get some sleep. I'll be talkin' to you tomorrow.

Edited for some missing words throughout the post. It's late; I have GOT to get some sleep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Premier Cat

Yes......I had bought a Power Player for my son...

He played it until he broke it!
Funny.....he has an X-Box too and found himself and his friends
enjoying the Old School games just as much!

I did not have a deluxe one like what you have there.
I bought it several years ago for around 40 dollars.
I am thinking there were around 150 games loaded on it.

FUN STUFF!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Premier Cat

Oh-oh-oh! If it has Demon Attack, I'd be all over it! Can you tell me if it has Demon Attack (Atari)? If it does, it is going on my xmas wish-list.
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I want that!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Oh-oh-oh! If it has Demon Attack, I'd be all over it! Can you tell me if it has Demon Attack (Atari)? If it does, it is going on my xmas wish-list.
h

I will surely check. I don't recall ever playing Demon Attack myself so I'm not even sure what it looks like, and to avoid copyright infringement most of these games are not given the title that they originally had and the setup looks slightly different from the original; either that or they're broken up into a series of smaller games.

An example is of Space Invaders; the way the game is played is exactly the same but the little aliens, and the barricades that the shooter can hide under, look slightly different from the original.

Can you described Demon Attack for me?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

76,000 games? LOL probably only that many ever made.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
76,000 games? LOL probably only that many ever made.
I know. As soon as I read the 76,000 games thing on the box I knew there had to be a catch. I explained a bit of that in my original post. The managed to come up with 76,000 by breaking up a lot of the games that are long, such as Super Mario Bros, etc. I think by doing this they also avoid some sort of copyright infringement. Either that, or this thing is being sold "bootleg" all over the place.

I also thought of this... is it possible that the copyright agreement no longer is in place since the game systems and all the games are no longer being sold as they originally were 20-some years ago.

At any rate, it's fun so far. BTW, the kids absolutely love Duck Hunt. I'm kind of amazed at Emma's hand-eye coordination at the age of 3! She's gotten higher scores than Nate and they're the same age. I have heard that hand-eye coordination is more of a girl thing than boys, though, so who knows.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
h
I will surely check.
Can you described Demon Attack for me?
Looks like it wasn't Atari, it was made by Imagic. Anyhow, here is a link to what it looks like. I recall the shooter was on the ground level and the 'demons' flew in and had to be shot, very similar to Space Invaders, but I don't think the shooter had anywhere to hide. The 'demons' would also drop eggs onto the shooter.

http://www.atariage.com/software_page.h ... wareID=974

I recall reading somewhere about the differences between boys/girls being that boys tried to make it happen while girls would let it happen and their accuracy was higher because the try without forcing the issue made for steadier aim.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Premier Cat

...creeps back to ask... Does it have Frogger, too?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I haven't found Frogger yet but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Looking at the pictures of those old Atari cartridges sure brings back a lot of memories. It's kind of funny how they had the Sears Video Arcade system featured as well. That's the one I had, not the "Atari" brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page