Heap big decision-New England, here I come - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Heap big decision-New England, here I come

A few years ago I became friends with a guy across the country. We met while he was on vacation in California. Well, he's made a very plausible offer to me...one that would flip my entire life upside down. I'm big on wildlife & parks, if you guys can't tell by my pictures I've always, always wanted to be a park ranger. He has an empty house by one of the only nine colleges that offers a park ranger program. He's offered to let me live in his place for free. The program's relatively cheap. It's only a couple days per week. I could work full time, have my own place, he'd let me take my dog and cat with me. It's also 3000 miles from home, in completely unfamiliar territory, and while I trust this friend implicitly, it's still...risking a lot. The program starts in...less than two months. That's a BIG decision to make in less than two months! It's so far out of my comfort zone! And it's such an opportunity for a huge career and something I've always wanted! My dad DOES live near there...that could ease the risk of it. But it would give me an opportunity to meet my dad & sisters & brother...go for the career of my dreams, and get my own place. I'm so shaken up by this offer! I need advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

I would say go for it on one condition: Don't count on the house and free rent. Have a contingency plan in case that falls through. If you're working full-time, put that money away for a new place in case you need it.

Starting over somewhere completely new can be exciting. I moved from New Hampshire to San Diego without ever having visited here before, no job, no friends, and I don't regret it for a minute. You'll have a better head start than I had - a place to live. I say go for it!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, that's a tempting offer

Do you feel confident that you would enjoy a career as a park ranger? Have you researched it thoroughly and does it seems like a good fit?
If so, this could be a great opportunity.

And a free place to live... If your friend is as trustworthy as you say, then this would be hard to pass up. What do you know about the house he is offering you?

Any concerns about leaving your current home? Do you currently own or rent? Do you have any other commitments that would be hard to leave behind?

I recently visited some national parks and have to say I was intrigued by the ranger career as well. Maybe when I retire from teaching

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Cat Addict

Oh my, Oh my, that DOES sound like a opportunity not likely to EVER happen again! Research it thoroughly of course, and then just JUMP into it feet first [if it passes all smell tests]! From the sound of it it appears to be your destiny, me thinks! Oooooh, I envy you! Good Luck and keep us posted, of course.

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I'm confident in the career as a park ranger. I think I'd make my friend sign a clause that he can't boot me out of the house without extreme reason unless I have another place to live. The house he has is shared--there are three levels, each one I think is fully set up and independent. The bottom level is his. I've seen pictures...it's not gorgeous, but it has TONS of windows, which I've always wanted. It's his bachelor pad--has his stuff, but he rarely visits, he works in New York. I wouldn't regret leaving the Nevada desert behind--I hate this place, and I've always wanted to see New England--but I can't even bear thinking about telling my mom. She's already heartbroken at my being 350 miles away from home. I'LL be heartbroken at getting further away. But nothing's forever, either. I'm skeered

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

I made my big move when I was 20. I had never even driven on a highway before my 3,000 mile cross-country trip!

You can do it.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well, I contacted the program director...I'd have to be able to run 1.5 miles by the end of March I've never even been able to run a quarter of a mile. If I can't pass that test, I don't graduate the program. On the other hand...the other time I attended a university I did so much walking just for fun & joy that I dropped 50 pounds in four months. I'd be back in the situation I was then, in a place where I'd want to get out a lot. I never even TRIED to exercise when I dropped that weight. Maybe I could get physically fit, too, if I were trying. Would my fee contain a university gym membership?

And I'd need $2700 by the beginning of September. But that's just money. Money gets scrounged up here and there, I'm less worried about that. There are always education loans. Cool thing is, that money covers every cost of the program.

Lastly, this offer would put me in the arms of a guy I haven't gotten over in the three years since we met I didn't even have a scrap of confidence in myself as a female until we met & he treated me like I was just the greatest thing on earth. I realized I had hope, and went out and got a credit card or three, and completely restyled my wardrobe two days later lol.

Oh, the decisions! I have...34 days til the program starts =\

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Premier Cat

good luck.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

This sounds exciting for you! What an opportunity to pursue your dream...
Best wishes in whatever you decide!

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's a great opportunity for you. Your location would be temporary if you chose it to be, you don't have to stay in New England after graduation. But I can attest to the fact that the White Mountains of NH and the Green Mountains of VT are gorgeous and you could very well want to stay. If I recall, the area that you're very attached to is No. California right? Very similar, except we get a lot of snow . I assume a school with a Park Ranger program would be in VT, NH or Maine rather than one of the southern NE states...I think you'd be happy in any one of those places.

I say go for it.....

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page