An act of kindness - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

An act of kindness

I've seen a lot of posts lately about vets and mechanics and just people in general who try to get as much money out of you as they can or are simply dishonest.

I'd like to share this little story. I broke a tooth, but I put off going to see my dentist for almost a month because I figured it would need a crown and that meant about $800 out of pocket expense for me, and having been laid off recently, not an expense I needed. I finally couldn't take the pain any longer. He said he thought he could fix it with a filling, which he did right then - with porcelain, knowing it's not covered by my dental plan. When he asked how work was going, I told him I had been laid off.

After he finished, he said he would write off my portion of the bill that insurance wouldn't cover, which would be at least $150 because of the porcelain filling.

He said if it doesn't hold and I need a crown, he'd help me out with that, too. This isn't the first time he's saved me money with his honesty and kindness.

There really are some great people out there.

Any acts of kindness done for you that you'd like to share?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:25 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
A couple years ago my spine was so bad I couldn't work and Anthony had been laid off. We were about to lose our house so I posted my collies up on a forum similiar to this except for border collie rescue, and instead of them helping me find homes for my dogs, a bunch of members all pitched in and paid our rent for a couple months
And that gave us enough time to get back on our feet. The board isn't around anymore, but I will always be thankful to those people.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Wow, that's wonderful, Lorna!

Someone on this Forum offered to pay for my cats' food while I'm laid off. That made me cry.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 AM
Premier Cat

I remember someone posting me cans of Merrick for Toby and refusing to accept payment for them despite having just been laid of ....

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Cool Cat

Once I had a flat tyre and took the car into a garage to get it fixed. The mechanic told me it wasn't a puncture but a faulty valve. He replaced the valve free of charge.

Now thats' just a little thing, but he could have easily told me that I needed an entire new tyre and I would have been none the wiser.
I'd never been to that garage before so he wasn't doing me a favour as a loyal cutsomer either.

seashell
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Cool Cat

Those are all lovely stories. It's really good hearing about some of the nice stuff people do...

Silver Deer and...

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Cat Addict

You always hear the bad stories about lawyers, but here is a good one.
Years ago I had finally decided to end my abusive marrage. The local abused womans home recomended this attourney and I paid the retainer with money I had hidden from baby sitting. As the process went on I paid a little bit here and there as I could afford it - now being a single mother with a 3 and 5 year old. When it was finally over I asked how much I still owed. He mailed me the bill that was still just over $300 and it was marked paid in full. That was over 15 years ago but I will never forget that man and how much that helped me at the time.

Sue

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Cool Cat

I've had far more kindnesses than people trying to rip me off For that matter...don't know if anyone's ever tried to rip me off.

My best friend: When I started high school, a girl there decided we would be friends. End of story, I had no choice in it So she became my best buddy and her family took me in. My home life was pretty unpleasant so I missed out on the finer nuances of being a people. My friend's family taught me things like how to eat at a table, be pleasant to people even when I don't feel like it, incorporate everyone in a group in an activity so that no one feels left out, taught me how to drive, and how to be family. When two of my teeth in the center of my mouth became severely infected and I could no longer eat, they paid for me to have two root canals done. The dentist worked with them on it since it was a good Samaritan act. They also gave me my first car, picked me up from anyone my mom forgot me at, and made sure I had proper supplies for any activity I doing doing.

Other events: When someone tried to kill my kitteh Jig, they shot her in the face with a beebee gun. It lodged in the tip of her nose. Everyone I knew pitched in so I could afford the vet visit, and a man whose animal had an appointment next told me to take his place.

When I was proparing to move to Nevada, my boss knew I was in financial straits. For the three weeks up until I moved, she gave me a raise every single week.

My uncle, knowing I needed help getting ahead in life, let me move into his home in Nevada and even helped pay my bills til I could cover them again.

Now, a friend is offering me to stay in his place in New England so I can get a degree there.

People laugh at me because I'm so trusting sometimes...I leave my car windows down, I don't guard my purse like a bulldog, I give money to anyone I can, and I don't expect negative treatment from others. Well, I've sat & visited with guys that were cold blooded killers, fresh from prison..and grew up around gang members, wife beaters, thieves...almost everyone has some good in them, and most people are very good, and some people have no real bad in them at all. No matter what, there's a greater abundance of good in the world when you add it up that way. Even the killers I knew as a kid would give a child the shirt off their back.

Not that I'm regretting no longer being in the company of cons.

Well, that novel went longer than I thought!

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Cool Cat

For the people that have businesses and have helped you, the best thing you can do is recommend them to other. Word of mouth, good or bad, can hugely affect a business.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Cat Addict

I know that over the years I've been the recipient of quite a few acts of kindness and, unfortunately, I can't recall any right now except a few months ago when the family and I were at Cold Stone Creamery getting ice cream the lady in front of us (who I'd known because she was one of my nurses during my stay in the hospital after the car accident) paid our bill. It was either shortly before that or shortly after that the same thing happened at a Starbucks somewhere in the east for about 2 hours in the drive thru.

That's a really stupid example but it's all I can come up with now. If I think of any more I'll post them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page