Clearing Up Some Hard Drive Space - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Clearing Up Some Hard Drive Space

It seems that ever since I switched over to Vista that my C drive is all used up. It is so annoying & it keeps having a pop up saying that the C drive is full & to do a cleanup. I did the disk cleanup & it only cleared a tiny amount of space which it is full again. I have about 30 gigs on my C drive & have cleared all the unecessary programs out. What else can I do besides having it reformatted to a larger C drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
I've heard some bad things about Windows Vista. That's why we only use Windows XP for our computers. Although that probably didn't help much... I'll see what I can find doing a google search. BTW Kim, you have WAY more memory available on your computer than I do on my own computer. But, you probably don't have your computer all junked up with pictures of your favorite baseball players, do you?

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Banned

I bought a Western Digital 500 GIG (yes 500) external drive for about $120 a few months ago.

External drives are brilliant. Keep all your music and pics etc on it, and free up space. Plus you can back up important files, so if you DO need to format, then it's less of a hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Plus you can back up important files, so if you DO need to format, then it's less of a hassle.

What? Backup? *blinkblink* what's that?

/sarcasm

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Banned

lol...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Kim, when you say you might need to reformat it to a "larger C drive" do you mean to say that you have your drive partitioned? (ie two or more logical drives on one physical drive - usually C:\, D:\, or more) If that's the case, you can buy programs that can move the partition and make your logical C drive larger without having to reformat.

The external drive is a great idea also when you use it for backups and also stuff that takes up a lot of space, like image files.

Last suggestion -- I don't know if this applies to Vista, but in XP when you do a disk cleanup, on the Options tab there's an option to delete all restore points except the last one. These restore points take up a HUGE amount of disk space. I delete them about once a month and usually in a month accumulate about three GIGs of restore point files (they're in a hidden directory; you can't see them) Do a virus & spyware scan, a checkdisk, and then a manual restore point before you say goodbye to all your previous restore points (just in case)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Cat

A couple of years ago, I began kicking my Microsoft addiction, and I now use GNU/Linux almost exclusively.

It's much more transparent than Windows, so you can more easily manage disk space.

GNU/Linux is free, and so are almost all the applications you need.

That means I can spend all that money on the kitties.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Tim - I have a partitioned drive. 30 Gigs on my C drive & about 90 on my D drive. I will have my bf move things around so I can have a larger C drive later. Oh & I did do some disk cleanup & it barely cleaned any large amount of space.

As far as external hard drives, I have 2 just in case. On this laptop, I haven't moved anything over from them & it's a good thing I didn't because I feel like space is already being maxed out.

Who would've thought 120 Gig hard drive is big? I think my next computer has to have at least 200 Gigs minimum lol.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

Ya, 30G is too small for a system partition. I think the partition software is the solution to your immediate problem.

News flash: I went away to google partitioning software because I haven't kept up to speed and it looks like Windows Vista has the built-in capability to resize its partitions:

http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/ ... dows-vista

How well it works, I dunno. Partition Magic used to be a pretty good piece of work, but it was bought by Symantec, which is not good news, and worse yet this article says it doesn't work with Vista.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Premier Cat

WELL.......Huh???

Who gave you guys the right to speak in a foreign language on
here anyways???

I am completely lost.
This kind of computer talk is beyond me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page