Squirrels stealing my birdseed! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Squirrels stealing my birdseed!

My family enjoys watching the birds that visit our feeder on our deck. Lately, we have been having problems with squirrels climbing the feeder to eat, knocking the feeder down, and leaving their "deposits" on the deck

This morning I went to let Pepper out on the screened porch next to the deck, and I was shocked to find a squirrel inside my porch I shut the door quickly so Pepper didn't get out there with him. We mistakenly left a bag of seed on the porch, and the little bugger chewed a hole in my screen to get in Plus, he ripped other screens in his frantic effort to get out

I'll be spending tomorrow replacing the damaged screens and buying a new birdfeeder

Has anyone found a good way to combat squirrels? Anyone know of a good squirrel-proof feeder? I would really hate to take the feeder down for good

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I've seen an occasional squirrel, but I have a young raccoon visiting almost every night! He's right at the kitchen window. I keep telling him he's not a bird, but he just stares at me for a while, and then scoots up a rain spout. I never knew they were so agile. He's very pretty, but...

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Cat Addict

How is your feeder mounted? Does it hang from the eaves, or is it on a pole?

We had chipmunks climbing our poles to get to the seed, I read about mounting a 'squirrel guard' (plastic ring like a circular tray that fits around the pole) so they can't climb past it... Or you could grease the pole and make it too slippery.

If it is hanging, and they are climbing onto the feeder from above, you'll have to take a different approach...

We were having trouble with rabbits eating all of our young flowers, and we found that powdered coyote urine was very effective - without harming any animals! The birds didn't care (although the quails left for a while) but the rabbits, rats and voles all disappeared.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Yes there are feeders made that make it to where squirles cant eat the seeds

amazon

My mom has this one and it works really well.

lowes birdfeeder
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
How is your feeder mounted? Does it hang from the eaves, or is it on a pole?
I have it hanging from a pole which is mounted on my deck railing. The squirrels climb the pole (which is quite short) to get to the feeder. I looked into the squirrel guards you mentioned, and that might do it.

I am also going to shop a bit more for squirrel-proof feeders. Megan, I looked at the Lowes feeder yesterday. I am considering that one...the only concern I have is that we have large birds such as woodpeckers and bluejays that visit regularly. I wonder if the feeders that shut off the food based on weight will keep the large birds from feeding

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Cat Addict

I was surprised I didn't have more problems with squirrelz, mine is mounted on a large shepherds hook in the middle of my ginormous rhododendron, they haven't figured out how to get to it yet.

-steve

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Premier Cat

We had so many squirrels around last winter that were eating the seed, and we did put up squirrel proof feeders. They do work well, but the problem we had was the squirrels still come to eat the whole seeds that the birds drop under the feeders. I didn't want squirrels that close to the house, up on the patio, because they can do plenty of damage, and they were climbing on and through all my flowers breaking things (just like the bunnies ). I switched to just feeding plain safflower seed, the squirrels do not like it so we have only a couple passing through now and again, but the only problem with that is that some of the song birds don't like it either. We do still get the grosbeaks, cardinals, chickadees, nuthatch, and finches coming in to eat though. I found the goldfinch actual prefers the safflower over their thistle seed. The other good thing is the woodpeckers don't care for safflower either. We had soooo many this winter, they were actually damaging alot of our trees right behind the house.

The bunnies were chewing my flowers, and running through breaking them, just like the squirrels. I found moth balls keeps them away also.........if you can hack the smell of them yourself! Just a few sprinkled around the flower bed has kept them out of it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Cat Addict

I have a rather large bird feeder nailed to the trunk of my big pine tree. I put out enough sunflower seeds to feed all my squirrels and birds alike! Why would I discriminate against the squirrels anyway? I love them just as much as the birdies.

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Cat Addict

I buy my sunflower seed 'oilers' in 50 lb. bags so I can afford to be generous when I put the seeds out.

Note: As late as a yr. and 1/2 ago I was buying those bags at Menards for $10.98. A couple of weeks ago I bought a new bag for $21.98. Yikes, talk about inflation !!

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
I have a rather large bird feeder nailed to the trunk of my big pine tree. I put out enough sunflower seeds to feed all my squirrels and birds alike! Why would I discriminate against the squirrels anyway? I love them just as much as the birdies.
If the squirrels weren't so destructive, I wouldn't mind feeding them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page