Trip to the creek with dog - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Trip to the creek with dog

Went to the creek today with the dog. There's a spot I've been trying to get to for a while, but there's always someone there so I've never really seen it. Just knew it looked beautiful. We finally got in to it today, beat the crowd! Turned out it was a very lush little campground with the creek in the bottom of a gully. There were access points to the creek, but most of the surrounding land to the creek was just a drop off. I think it was about eight feet to the bottom. I curled up under a shady tree, left Bodie to his wanderings, and started writing with my back to the creek & a dropoff.

Thump.

Heard a thump behind me, down at the creek, over the drop off. Thought about it for a second, got up to see. Heard Bodie's collar jingling down below as he indulged in the creek. Looked over the edge, and there he was, happy as a lark on his own sand berm. It had a tiny slope to a certain access point, and only a three or four foot drop off to that slope. He saw me looking, and vaulted back up the drop off, scrabbling and fixing to fall off backwards at any time. I went back to writing...little bit later, I heard THUMP again and went back to his dropoff spot...yep, he's just having a blast. I think the THUMP is him hitting the sand below.

Border Collies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
They're such a silly breed
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I would love sitting by a creek! It's in the woods, right? We have a creek at the very bottom of a very steep part of our property, and I've never made it down there. So I settle for sitting by the woods. I like to sit there and think. We have a large part of the lot fenced in, (about an acre) but in back and to the side there are steep woods. I imagine they are pristine, and that impresses me.

Don't burst my bubble, please! I know there were native Americans in the area, but I'm not counting that. That impresses me too. (The boys in the area have found arrowheads. I just find the occasional wildflower and some poison ivy! )

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Cat

i wish i could let my dogs have fun like that but the 2 that listen good off lead also have other problems that make it so i have to keep them on lead.

i love Border Collies all the energy they have. it sounds like he had fun.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I would love sitting by a creek! It's in the woods, right? We have a creek at the very bottom of a very steep part of our property, and I've never made it down there. So I settle for sitting by the woods. I like to sit there and think. We have a large part of the lot fenced in, (about an acre) but in back and to the side there are steep woods. I imagine they are pristine, and that impresses me.

Don't burst my bubble, please! I know there were native Americans in the area, but I'm not counting that. That impresses me too. (The boys in the area have found arrowheads. I just find the occasional wildflower and some poison ivy! )
Jeanie, for all that men have touched every corner of this globe, they have not touched every inch of its land. There are still pristine areas. I've been to them, I've been to the mountain tops where men have not touched foot in as many years as anyone knows, I've drunk the clear, sweet waters in the creeks where no man has ever soiled. I've looked off of peaks and known there were no humans on any mountain range in sight. Even where human foot has stepped, the land reclaims its own. There are place, sure, where maybe someone once rested, or built their homes. But dirt is reborn, recreated, recycled. Rocks are eroded, and grow. The trees and vines and woody beings are grown anew. The land that you step foot on is not the same land as someone did so many years ago. It is pristine as anything can be--no one else may have touched that land but you. It is yours alone.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You're very fortunate, but then, we all are, aren't we? This earth is beautiful beyond description.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
You're very fortunate, but then, we all are, aren't we? This earth is beautiful beyond description.
So we are And so it is. Who needs a greater miracle or something more to have faith in, than to know that no matter what happens in our lives, we're simply part of this great cycle of life.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like you and Bodie had a wonderful time! Nope, doesn't take much to impress me either! A nice walk through the woods to pick berries, a newly blossomed flower, and even just to see the deer walking through. Nature is beautiful!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Cat Addict

Border collies and water were made to go together. I can't keep mine out of it, and on hikes, she can find any creek, or pond in a three miles radius.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Does everyone's border collies lay down in the creek and wave their open mouth back and forth like an alligator? I've never seen one do it before, but boy...he looks just like a little black alligator, lurking with his open maw, floating with his back barely exposed at the top

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page