Election Politics For Polite Disagreement - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Election Politics For Polite Disagreement

Because we have been able to have great respectful threads before, and we can do it again without being a menace to the moderators to keep track of. I get a belly-ache when someone tells me to stay on topic too, not that I can't, it's just that normal conversations don't always stay on 1 topic. And we can talk about both candidates.

First let me say I am a fiscal conservative, one issue voter. Or that is my #1 issue. I believe in low tax rates for a bigger, better economy. The lost opportunity from high tax rates have dogged job seekers in this country ever since I entered the working world, and I am one of the lucky ones always able to find work. Republican and Democrats have done a good job of making me realize neither party is capable of cutting spending, but at least keeping tax rates low gives folks more power to choose their own destiny. I am voting for McCain for 2 reasons, 1. he cuts pork barrel spending, and 2. his Sons are serving in the Military, he has vested interest in it. You could change my mind with a good argument.

I know there are others with other concerns, my buddy from school, his #1 Issue: Climate Change, he explain to me when the ice caps melt and sea levels rise there is going to be a lot of refugees, Florida Peninsula will be under water, China will have lost major coast line and have huge refugee problem too. He's trying to change my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Just a heads up to those who might be interested, from;

House Republicans to Resume Floor Protest on American Energy Monday

http://www.republicanleader.house.go...cumentID=99395

Quote:
Washington, Aug 3 - House Republicans will be back on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives again Monday to continue the unprecedented protest that began last Friday, when dozens of Republicans joined hundreds of American citizens on the House floor to protest Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) decision to send Congress home for the rest of the summer without a vote on legislation to lower gas prices and move America toward energy independence.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
What I want to see addressed or done with the next president-
1) there should be a flat tax rate
2) Help make the illegals here legal if they have put in papers already- if they havent then they have a certian amount of time to do so or get shipped.
3) Find a way to slowly withdraw our troops without causing the terroist to follow us home (or a way to just "get rid" of them all would be nice too)
4)A way to help our fellow americans get jobs and lower our welfare rates
5) There should be random drug tests for people on welfare-if you use drugs you dont need welfare.
6) we need to find a way to be selfsufficant on oil and energy while finding a more ecofriendly way to provide energy.

Ok thats the major stuff for now--------- So catdaddy whats that make me politiclly??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Cat Addict

The best thing about this election is the whacky evangelical conservative right wingnuts are out of the picture. powerless. it's a win/win no matter what.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstx
1) there should be a flat tax rate
Flat tax rates are the most inherently unfair taxes allowed. It impacts lower and middle class. The upper class will still have tax shelters. Research this before you decide on the issue. I am totally opposed to flat rate taxes.

Quote:
2) Help make the illegals here legal if they have put in papers already- if they havent then they have a certian amount of time to do so or get shipped.
Getting 'papers' is incredibly difficult. A friend of mine paid for a lawyer to try to get legal papers for his work crew. The waiting period was longer than he had - almost 14 months before they could even get a green card. Something needs to be done to help people before they resort to gross hardships to come to America.

Quote:
3) Find a way to slowly withdraw our troops without causing the terroist to follow us home (or a way to just "get rid" of them all would be nice too)
Yep. I agree on this one. But, I also think we should be targeting the true problems, not in a war looking for mythical WMDs. Support the troops, bring them home.

Quote:
4)A way to help our fellow americans get jobs and lower our welfare rates
5) There should be random drug tests for people on welfare-if you use drugs you dont need welfare.
Our welfare system is in shambles. You CANNOT get a job and support a family. Once you get a job, you lose food stamps, and medicaid, and other forms of help. People are forced to choose between feeding their children (or child) and working. It is hard to find daycare that is affordable, and most jobs don't start with insurance. Here in Texas, it is hard to get insurance on your kid. It needs to be on a scale. Not all or nothing.

Quote:
6) we need to find a way to be selfsufficant on oil and energy while finding a more ecofriendly way to provide energy.
The need for oil is unescapable. Unfortunately, drilling in the Arctic and other stop-gap measures are just that. They will only work for a little while before we are back to square one. We need to reduce the need for oil. Carter had set up research into alternative energy and installed solar panels in the White House. Reagan cut funding to all those programs. We need to spend more on research to make alternative energy sources more viable. I get all my household energy from wind energy and my car gets 44 mpg on average.

Me and My family:
Chairman Meow
Dogs: Leela and Thomas

Oh yeah - husband and child
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
There wouldnt be a tax shelter for the rich. It would just be a flat tax so no-one can say "but I pay more". **** right now my husband and me pay more than any couple our age because we dont have kids

They should help make it to where people can have jobs and not worry so much-sure you wont have a perfect comfy life but you will have food and a roof. I said they should have daycares that offer discounts to people in need of child care.

We will always need oil but I agree that we need to find alternatives also
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
There wouldnt be a tax shelter for the rich. It would just be a flat tax so no-one can say "but I pay more".
Yes, because slapping a $2k annual tax on someone who makes $20k a year and on someone who makes $200k a year is totally sensible.

Just a for-instance.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

- universal health insurance
- flat tax
- end the Iraq war
- crash program to develop alternative energy
- rebuild the military
- enforce immigration laws
- renegotiate trade agreements to give us FAIR trade
- rebuild the infrastructure
- improve education
- get big money influence out of government

I feel like an ant staring at a huge rubber tree plant. Except when I started nibbling, the rubber tree plant turned out to be plastic. None of those will ever happen; we'll just keep muddling along, same-oh, same-oh.

But make me dictator for eight years, and I'll get all of those done.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Please explain the flat tax to me. Does it mean everyone pays $2,000 (for example), or that every who makes $32,000 per year pays $2,000 no matter how many kids or exemptions? Or it is something completely different? Because I've always thought it would be patently unfair to most people, but if YOU are in favor of it, Tim, it must be something else....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Ok thats the major stuff for now--------- So catdaddy whats that make me politiclly??
Not wanting to go too far with labels, and not being an expert, I'd say you tend to be mostly socially and fiscally conservative. As for flat tax, yes, 9% would be a tax reduction for all, and, I think we could all mostly agree on the first $25,000 being tax exempt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page