ND farming town booming after a large oil find... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

ND farming town booming after a large oil find...

Found this on Yahoo. I'm about 45 minutes from the little town in this news piece. I just might see if I can scrouge up the $$ to put a small rig in our backyard!

Also, about a half hour west of this little farm town is a bit bigger town of approximately 12,000 people that went through an oil boom back in the '80s. The boom died down and their economy slumped but now it's picked up again. A friend of my husband's who has something to do with setting up new developments told Ken that lower-level jobs such as the fast food industry are having such a difficult time finding workers because of the current oil boom that places such as Wendy's Restaurant is offering $12/hour starting wage and a $500 sign-on bonus!

http://www.yahoo.com/s/930230
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

I'm no fan of high oil prices, but it's the silver lining for places like ND, which with higher wheat prices is finally having some good times, and well-deserved I might add.

I'll probably get heat for this, and it's off-topic anyway, but I think the government should adjust gasoline taxes to maintain the price around $4.00 a gallon. It seems between $3.75 and $4.00 a gallon was the area where people were feeling enough pain that they started modifying their driving habits. And guess what....it worked and the reduction in demand led to falling oil and gas prices. And now guess what again.....now I've noticed they've started going back to lead-footing it again.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Banned

What will happen when all the oil runs out?

The more we drill, the quicker that will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Here comes the heat, Tim! People on minimum wage find the cost of getting to work prohibitive. Can you imagine filling a tank for $75 dollars when you make only $240 or so?

I wish the trolleys would return, the buses would add more routes, and the trains would run a commuter train again. That would help quite a few people. The sad part is that poor Exxon-Mobil will lose a bit of their 22.6 BILLION dollar profit.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned

Ya, I know, but I don't know how else to curb demand except to make it painful to buy. Maybe there could be a special income tax deduction for lower-income working people who can't reduce the miles they drive. But there's no easy answer. I want to let the free market work and I oppose using tax code to implement policy, but we're already doing both of those.

It's going to be a long time yet before we can produce more oil here and even longer for alternative energy sources. So for now, reducing demand is the only option.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Premier Cat

We have been so short-sighted! We should have been working on alternative (solar and wind) energy for the last twenty years.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

It's human nature. During the Arab oil embargo, there were all these plans and good intentions, then the price of oil went down, people went "whew, I'm glad that's over" and went back to same-oh-same-oh and forgot all about it. Unless the price stays high, the same thing will happen again.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned

In your case, I blame Reagan. He stopped vast amounts of funding into alternative energy sources.

In ours, I blame Maggie. For ignoring everything.

I hope we end up following France into the only viable source of power available. Nuclear.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I wish the trolleys would return, the buses would add more routes, and the trains would run a commuter train again. That would help quite a few people. The sad part is that poor Exxon-Mobil will lose a bit of their 22.6 BILLION dollar profit.
1. Buses and Trolleys energy use is not efficient unless they are full all the time, and most Americans won't be convinced to live that way.

2. Geologist can find more oil around America than they have in the entire middle east.

3. Oil Companies profit from volume

And it really bothers me when Democrats keep burning record amounts of gasoline and tell the rest of us not to, every time I see a Democrat bumper sticker I wonder what they are doing burning gas?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Premier Cat

Do you drive, Cat Daddy? Even Democrats have to get to work and college. That's why I want an improvement in mass transit.

Hugh, the last thing we need is nuclear energy. We are not fallible. At Three Mile Island, the workers were so used to false warnings that they ignored the warnings when they were real. And the half life of nuclear waste is thousands of years. No one wants it being transported through his state, so the powers that be are considering the pollution of space. Talk about Pandora's box!

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page