I hate moving - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I hate moving

I am SO DARN STRESSED about this move right now.

MAN, I AM STRESSED!!!

OK - our move in date is 23rd August. Our present flat contract expires on the 16th September. We have to give notice on our present flat by the 16th August (or say that we are staying).

New landlady asked for bank references. We were certainly expecting a reference request of some sort, so fine by us.

My bank complained about the fact that she was a private individual and not a 'estate agent' and said I couldnt do it anyway - she had to fill in a form and me sign it. When flatmate asked his bank they said fine and said they would send it to him. What arrived was a form that requested the landladys details as well as his own. sigh

Which wouldnt be so much of a problem if she wasnt out of the country until the 13th. You'd have thought that she would have told us of this really but I guess she had other things to worry about. To be fair, I dont think she fully realised what a bank reference is. I hadnt even heard of them before now so I wouldnt be at all surprised.

When I realised that the bank reference wasnt just a case of me asking for one (and that my bank was complaining about providing one anyway) I rang her up (it went straight to her voicemail) explaining my problem and also that I was happy to do a credit check instead if necessary. She wrote back saying 'please can you sort out credit ref + if flatmate has bank ref that is ok' and also that if we had any other problems just to send her a text message. At the time flatmate was waiting for his bank reference (we didnt know all they were sending was a form).

Flatmate has since sent her a text message yesterday morning asking for her address so he can at least send off his bank reference form (apparently she doesnt have to sign it in his case - just give her address). She hasnt answered yet but then she is abroad and I know communication between mobiles abroad can be a little tricky.

As I say, we have until the 16th August to hand in our notice at our present place. I havent done so yet as I'm not in the habit of counting my chickens before they are hatched. But I dont think flatmates bank reference will be ready by then and theres always a possibility that she will still ask me for one (although I do already have the credit check on hand - I have an above average score so obviously not a problem).

I just dont want things to go wrong at this point - for example her suddenly backing out because of the issues with the bank references or something. Or just changing her mind for some reason. What if she thought my trouble getting a bank reference was just an excuse to not get one or something? See - my mind does things like this. . I'm not expecting any problems with the references themselves - we are both solvent as far as I am aware . If we know before the 16th, thats fine, we will just stay where we are. If we dont and we hand in our notice on the assumption that everything is fine with the new place and its not we will then have less than a month to find somewhere else or risk being homeless. Not an easy task if you have a cat.

I got a bit stressed about it last night - flatmate even asked if I would feel more comfortable just staying where I am and backing out now. Which is an option in terms of alleviating my short term stress levels and being secure but it has medium term consequences - living with the cockroaches and the toilet stinking of pee for the next 6 months. Not a delightful prospect.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Am I blowing this out of proportion? Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Cool Cat

I can't imagine why you'd be stressed.

I also doubt she would back out because of the bank reference. It sounds to me like a bank reference was something people used to do before credit checks became the norm. Is she an older woman, by any chance?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Even if you give your notice and this new place falls through, it would take months for them to evict you (I assume it's the same in the UK as US) so you wouldn't be homeless if you took a couple extra weeks to find something else. It's a crappy way to go, but you wouldn't be on the street...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Cool Cat

Go your bank and ask to speak to the manager.
Request a letter stating that you have been a customer in good standing since <insert date> and that you have had no overdraws. Ask your flatmate for the same.
The credit rating form is a good idea, but I think she just wants to know that you pay your bills on time - no hot checks.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Premier Cat

Allie, I don't have any advice about the bank ref, but I do know that moving is extremely stressful. When we were in the middle of selling, buying, and moving, I think I remember saying how stressful it was about 500 times! Just keep thinking it's almost over, and everything you went through will have been worth it.

Best of luck!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Tom Cat

I agree that moving is a horrid experience. Doubly so with pets, at least if you're a renter. I don't know what you can do to speed up the references but I don't think you should back out now. You already did the hard part and found a place you like that will let you bring the beast. Hang in there!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Cat

i have never had the problem you are having but i will say my stress levels are high right now to i have to get everything out and in the new place and the old place cleaned by august 18th. and so far all we have done has been fixing the new place. i wish you luck.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

I think Marsha's idea is good advice.

I moved TWICE in 2006.

Hopefully you'll get this straightened and move into your very cool new place.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I hate to move! It's bad enough to have to scrub someone else's dirt, but you have to pack all of your own things. Thank God we didn't have any problems with the bank; that's worse yet.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Little update:

Now, as is the norm, the deal is one months rent in advance and one months rent as a deposit.

It seems that the landlady will accept a credit reference from me (unless she changes her mind) but flatmate has gone ahead with the bank reference. Having looked it up, it seems perfectly fair - the landlady asks if so and so has enough funds to pay £x rent per month and the bank has a look and says yes or no. The tenant agrees to the reference and away you go.

However, apparently the bank reference she has requested from flatmate is for the months rent and deposit - she wanted proof that we had funds to move in. I'd imagine a unbounced cheque would have answered that question. Anyway, flatmate is now going to be checked to see if he can effectively pay double rent every month. Which of course theres no way he can do. If we could afford to pay double the rent, we would go and live in a palace rather than a very cute but tiny cottage in a rough end of London. So, he will fail the bank reference.

I don't think this lady has any idea what a bank reference actually is but how am I going to convince her this is what it is and flatmate failing it doesn't mean he cant pay the rent. He just cant pay double rent every month!

She isn't back in the country until Wednesday. I have to say whether we want to stay where we are by this coming Saturday. My blood pressure must be through the roof!

Why she didn't go down the credit reference route in the first place I have no idea. That is, as far as I am aware, what most landlords do.

I don't think she has the faintest idea what she is doing.

Hmmm. Update not so 'little' huh?

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page