I am SO DARN STRESSED
about this move right now.
MAN, I AM STRESSED!!!
OK - our move in date is 23rd August. Our present flat contract expires on the 16th September. We have to give notice on our present flat by the 16th August (or say that we are staying).
New landlady asked for bank references. We were certainly expecting a reference request of some sort, so fine by us.
My bank complained about the fact that she was a private individual and not a 'estate agent' and said I couldnt do it anyway - she had to fill in a form and me sign it. When flatmate asked his bank they said fine and said they would send it to him. What arrived was a form that requested the landladys details as well as his own. sigh
Which wouldnt be so much of a problem if she wasnt out of the country until the 13th. You'd have thought that she would have told us of this really but I guess she had other things to worry about. To be fair, I dont think she fully realised what a bank reference is. I hadnt even heard of them before now so I wouldnt be at all surprised.
When I realised that the bank reference wasnt just a case of me asking for one (and that my bank was complaining about providing one anyway) I rang her up (it went straight to her voicemail) explaining my problem and also that I was happy to do a credit check instead if necessary. She wrote back saying 'please can you sort out credit ref + if flatmate has bank ref that is ok' and also that if we had any other problems just to send her a text message. At the time flatmate was waiting for his bank reference (we didnt know all they were sending was a form).
Flatmate has since sent her a text message yesterday morning asking for her address so he can at least send off his bank reference form (apparently she doesnt have to sign it in his case - just give her address). She hasnt answered yet but then she is abroad and I know communication between mobiles abroad can be a little tricky.
As I say, we have until the 16th August to hand in our notice at our present place. I havent done so yet as I'm not in the habit of counting my chickens before they are hatched. But I dont think flatmates bank reference will be ready by then and theres always a possibility that she will still ask me for one (although I do already have the credit check on hand - I have an above average score so obviously not a problem).
I just dont want things to go wrong at this point - for example her suddenly backing out because of the issues with the bank references or something. Or just changing her mind for some reason. What if she thought my trouble getting a bank reference was just an excuse to not get one or something? See - my mind does things like this.
. I'm not expecting any problems with the references themselves - we are both solvent as far as I am aware
. If we know before the 16th, thats fine, we will just stay where we are. If we dont and we hand in our notice on the assumption that everything is fine with the new place and its not we will then have less than a month to find somewhere else or risk being homeless. Not an easy task if you have a cat.
I got a bit stressed about it last night - flatmate even asked if I would feel more comfortable just staying where I am and backing out now. Which is an option in terms of alleviating my short term stress levels and being secure but it has medium term consequences - living with the cockroaches and the toilet stinking of pee for the next 6 months. Not a delightful prospect.
I'm not sure what to do at this point. Am I blowing this out of proportion? Any suggestions/comments appreciated.