Cleaning puppy urine... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cleaning puppy urine...

As with any new puppy, the potty training process always means there will be accidents in the house. It's been about 6 weeks and Peanut still has accidents in the house, although I have to admit that there are times we're not watching her close enough so it's not like it's her fault.

Anyway, in certain areas of the house there is a stench; not horrid, just slightly noticeable, especially when it's humid outside. Tonight we are buying a blacklight and I am going to attempt to clean any and all spots I find throughout the rooms. I found this article explaining a home remedy for urine removal and was wondering if anyone here has tried such a thing and if you were pleased with the results. At the end, the article also mentions store-bought cleansers so if any of you have used these I'd love to know what you thinkof them. Thanks!

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-dog-urine.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Never made a homemade solution and frankly that one looks more complex than I'd want to bother with. I've used both Nature's Miracle and Simple Solution and both work great. You can find them at any pet store. Just make sure to saturate the area so the cleaner soaks in as far as the pee did. Spraying the surface won't do it, ya gotta pour it on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Cat Addict

X2 on the natures miracle and simple solution. I buy it by the gallon and keep in a pump garden sprayer.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Never made a homemade solution and frankly that one looks more complex than I'd want to bother with.
You know, I kind of thought the same thing but, then again, I thought to myself "usually the home remedies work better than anything you can buy in a store." However, it seems very time consuming.

I know the pet store that we buy our pet food, etc., from has those products. I'll have to get one of them tonight.

One other thing... do either of the cleansers you mentioned take care of slight discoloration as well as the smell?, and once you clean the carpet is the smell completely eliminated? If so, that's wonderful!

EDIT FOR ONE MORE QUESTION

I was wondering if you know whether either of those cleaners can be added to a carpet shampooer and just kind of do all over the floor?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Senior Cat

I've always used store products, like Simple Solution, Nature's Miracle, and Petrotech, comes in a big can and sprays a foam, I got it from petsmart, except there is now one really clean spot on the carpet lol.

I've never tried the homemade solution, sorry. It sounds very similar to what I have used to bath dogs that have been sprayed by a skunk though.

edited for spelling
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Cat Addict

that formula is very similar to the one that is recommended to remove skunk spray.

-steve

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Both of those products are stain removers as well. I don't believe it's recommended to put the standard products in a carpet shampooer, but I think Nature's Miracle makes a product for shampooers...might have to ask the store to order it or get it online though.

My experience has been good with one shot application when I've really soaked it and let it dry. It will stink until it's completely dry. I have heard some people needing to do repeat applications though.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

OK, I just got off the phone with the pet store we frequent. I was wrong; they do not carry Nature's Miracle but they do have Simple Solution. Would you say this is just as good as Nature's Miracle?

Also, I asked if this will deter the dog from going there again. She told me for that you have to get a repellent, which they do sell. I asked if it is such a thing that the dogs can smell it but people can't and she said "yes." Have any of you used repellent on carpets before?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Simple solution has worked fine for me as well. I've used spray repellents to keep the cats from scratching certain areas, various results depending on the cat. But you have to apply it daily. Not sure if dog repellents are the same.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Cool Cat

I use Spot Shot, with the orange lid, for messes that we catch immediately. It was invented by the company that manufactured carpet and works great.

What color is your carpet? I have a light beige carpet ( 2 cats, 3 large hairy dogs ), which we just replaced. I've benn known to use hydrogen peroxide on the old carpet, applied with white washcloths which we keep for cleaning. Work from the outer edge toward the center so you don't spread it.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page