Does this seem fair to you? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Does this seem fair to you?

I'm just so irritated with this entire situation, and now I don't know what to do.

My roommate and I have a housekeeper who is supposed to come 10-12 hours a week. She was originally supposed to come MWF, for 3-4hrs each day. She sometimes came on other days as well and we figured add an hour here, take an hour there, it all balanced out.

While at first we were extremely happy with her work, it started to decline a lot after the first 6 weeks and recently it got so bad that things obviously hadn't been cleaned. It was like she did all the simple surface things like making the beds and dishes and left out all of the hard things like cleaning the floor properly, the bathroom , dusting, kitchen etc.

Then, the week and a half that I was sick, I started realizing that she was only coming for an hour a day, 3x/week. My roommate doesn't work on Wednesdays and she noted the same thing. We tried talking to her about it twice, and actually she was very unresponsive, annoyed even, about it.

Finally, we decided a few days ago to let her go after my roommate talked to her that morning and she still left after less than an hour of work when my roommate went out for 10 minutes to buy milk. We were going to pay her for the time she's worked this month, about 2 weeks at full rate of course, but the agency says we should pay her the entire month as a courtesy.

Generally I feel this is appropriate for most types of work. If we were satisfied with her, I'd do that. I know for a fact that she has other jobs as she told me about them, and she was totally ripping us off! She was working half if not a third of what we've been paying her to work for some time now. Now we're expected to pay her more on top of that? It's not as if we're moving away, she was trying to pull a fast one on us! I just don't think that's fair. I mean, if one of my tutoring students parents said, "Sorry, we're just not interested in tutoring anymore" or "we don't think you're the right tutor for us", I wouldn't expect to be paid for lessons I hadn't taught, even though I'm paid biweekly...

What do you think?

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Does this seem fair to you?

Under no circumstances should you pay her even one minute more than you think she worked. She was ripping you off, and her agency should be falling all over themselves apologizing to YOU.

The agency gets a cut, like an employment agency, so they want THEIR cut of the extra two weeks. You should switch agencies, too.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

just fire her unreliable ass.
plenty more waiting for work
who won't take it for granted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Premier Cat

Courtesy is fine and dandy when it has been earned, but she has violated the trust you and her agency placed in her to do her job at your home and taken advantage of you for quite some time. As a 'courtesy', I think the agency should refund you some money for the work you paid for and she didn't perform.
Tell them "No." She deserves no courtesy.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Premier Cat

I think you should deal with her according to local custom there in Shanghai, Robin. If the custom is to pay the whole month, do so, even though it may seem unfair to us western folk. However, I suspect that, in the east, just as in the west, you pay someone for the hours they work, and only give a gratuity if they do really excellent work, above and beyond the call of duty. The person who worked for you deserves no gratuity. And paying for the amount of hours you had originally agreed to would be at least a 50% gratuity.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

I don't care what the custom is!! Do NOT pay her for work she hasn't even performed! The agency wants their cut. (sorry, John)

Um, unless the custom is beheading a bad worker.....

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

Or flogging a bad worker...

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. That. I guess beheading is a bit extreme.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Under no circumstances should you pay her even one minute more than you think she worked. She was ripping you off, and her agency should be falling all over themselves apologizing to YOU.

The agency gets a cut, like an employment agency, so they want THEIR cut of the extra two weeks. You should switch agencies, too.
DITTO!!! Ya poor thing

Maria
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Ok, so I'm not the only one! I'm just going to tell the agency, exactly what happened and tell them that if they say I have to pay her, I'll go to another agency. Maybe they don't understand because I didn't explain all of our problems with her in the beginning. There's this huge cultural issue of "saving face" in China and if you make someone "lose face" it's like the worst thing you can do to them. SO annoying, but I'll have to do it, because I don't think this is right!

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page