Ice storm - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ice storm

Woke up this morning when my computer and phone buzzed back on, apparantly the power went out this morning. When I woke up again a few hours later, the trees were all beautiful and covered in ice, pretty day outside. Last night's wind subsided. A couple hours later my friend called and asked me if I was okay. He's out of the country right now, so that's no small call for him to make! I was a little bit weirded out by it. Yeah, of course I'm okay? Power's out, but what's odd about that during the winter? He made some joke about the governer declaring a state of emergency and calling in the National Guard & assistance. I laughed.

How 'bout that? Who would have thought that ice storms and falling down trees were unusual here? This is a fairly normal winter day in Northern California! I can't believe my friend wasn't joking about the state of emergency.

So, who else is affected by this astounding ice storm?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned

Re: Ice storm

Our road was slightly icy... does that count?

Nice of your mate to call, he obviously thought you needed a chat
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

We had rain turning to ice, turning to snow. Now we have abou 3 1/2 inches of snow. It's pretty, but winter is not my thing!

I let Kelsey, the collie, out only long enough to do her business and come right back in. I can remember how much all of my collies loved the snow, but she had such a rough life before she came, and we never know how she's going to react. Maybe I'm just being a worry wart.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u

We are expecting a storm tonight/tomorrow .... they said a trace to 8" in the Seattle / Tacoma area where I am. Oh fun! NOT !! At least I don't have to drive in the carp to work or anything. Doc hasn't released me to drive or even walk little bits yet ... I feel so flabby !
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Cool Cat

Much of New Hampshire has no power or phone lines, and cannot get in or out for supplies because of all the downed trees on the roads, too many to quickly clear. My friend drove home last night and got to within 1/2 mile of her house but couldn't pass because of trees. She almost walked home, but the sound of snapping and falling trees made her realize what a bad idea it was. She was able to make it to an area not surrounded be trees and ended up sleeping in her car because it was safer than trying to make it anywhere else due to falling trees and power lines.
She's headed back up there now in the hopes that she can at least make it to hewr house to rescue her cat.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Our power was out from 12:30 last night till around 3pm this afternoon. And we're one of the lucky ones. Just spoke to 2 of my friends and theirs is still out. One has a generator, the other went to a hotel, but she'll probably come here tomorrow if it doesn't come back on. There are estimates that some people may be out as long as 3-5 days. Even the grocery store was told not to expect to be back on till Sunday.

Tree branches down everywhere, I was laying in bed last night and could hear the cracking and creaking. My neighbor had a branch go through their pool heater. There's another that is broken and hasn't come down, looks like it will take out part of their fence when it does. Another neighbor had several large branches fall on their above the ground pool, but don't think there's damage. I went out this afternoon and there are detours everywhere because of branches and live wires being down.

Temps are going down in the teens tonight and won't be above the mid-20s tomorrow. People with older, not well insulated houses are likely to have issues with freezing pipes by tomorrow night or Sunday morning. Fortunately the sun came out this afternoon and melted most of the ice on the trees. I was out when it happened and it was pretty nasty, chunks of ice falling out of the trees like missiles hitting the car as I was driving.

But it was beautiful...here's a bunch of pics...

This is a view out my backyard looking toward the road. You can see all the young trees bent over from the weight of the ice.

Closer up to bent over birch tree, this one is in my yard.

This is a shrub in my yard that normally stands about 9 feet tall

Close up, you can see how thick the ice was

Neighbor's tree

More trees in my yard

Poor frozen Christmas basket on my mailbox

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Those pictures are really beautiful, but I don't miss New Hampshire at all!

Makes me cold just reading about. Hot cocoa time!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Premier Cat

I happened to come across a picture of my car that had ice on it one year here in Georgia. I think it was 2005? Hubby was doing a project in the garage, was in the middle of it when he needed to go to bed and didn't want to clean it up so I could put my car in. I figured ice wouldn't hurt it, so we left it out.
Here is what it looked like:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Power is still on, but the water went out again late last night, I knew I should have taken a shower last night, but by the time the water was hot again I lost my ambition and hate going to bed with wet hair anyway (drying is not an option with my hair). Ugh! I feel like a scum ball

The cats are really weirded out about eating out of paper bowls. They look at me like I'm crazy when I put the food in front of them.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Cat Addict

(Last post - those spoiled kitties! I can just imagine the expressions...)

The photos are just gorgeous, although it really hits home how overwhelming the ice is, for humans and for trees! When I was in college in New York state, we only had a few times I remember that the ice did that on the trees, but I remember being struck by how magical it looked. It always melted super fast. I guess it is NOT melting during this current storm - too cold....

I hope everyone stays safe and well.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page