Softened Water. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Softened Water.

Our water here is terrible! It's very hard, and when you shower, you don't feel clean, and you get really itchy. So, we opted to get a water softner. For the first year it was great, but when they came back to do a check, they said it was set wrong because it wasn't using much salt, even though it was working perfect for me. They said it was foolish to use it that way, because it wasn't working properly, even though it worked perfect for me. But ever since they changed it I just don't feel like I'm clean. I itch, my hair is always dull and flat, my skin burns, my hands are so dry that I've got some nasty skin splits on some of my fingers. Nothing I use for lotion helps. Between that, and the burning feeling, my hands are really miserable when I'm trying to sew. But, the good news for them is that it's using more salt! They said I'm using to much soap, but when I cut it down to just the bare minimum, that doesn't even help. I got ticked, and asked them if they'd like to come ration my soap for me, and give me what I'm allowed to use each day. I should mention also, that I'm using all natural soap products, unscented, and with no drying ingredients.

I'm to the point that I'm thinking maybe my body just can't handle whatever process the water goes through to get softened with all that salt. I've had hubby bypass the softer, and we now have a whole house water filter system to see if that works for me.

I'm really curious to see if anyone else has this problem? If there are others who just can't seem to get along with soft water? Because the water softer people are sure doing their best to make me feel like an idiot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Softened Water.

Foo on them! Tell them to come back and set the softener back to what it was before they changed it because it worked for YOU (and your expectations) and you didn't have any complaints until they came and changed things.

...just a question...
If it is using more salt...do you have to purchase your salt from them?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Cat Addict

All the salt does is clean regenerate the resin inside the softener. The resin has an electromagnetic charge which draws impurities and minerals out of the water as it passes through it. All the salt does is scrub them out of the resin.

Mine uses a LOT of salt, but I cannot change this setting myself, but I can change how often it regenerates. I don't use much water, so I have it set to regen every six days. Has worked fine for me, and I notice no difference from when it regen'd every other day, just a lot less salt.

Feeding these thing with salt is a PITA, and FWIW, some people just don't like soft water.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Cat Addict

FYI we have a whole house system, too - using potassium salt, and it has really helped us with winter skin. Our regular water is terrible - too much chlorine, too many minerals, ruins skin, hair and plumbing. Sounds like your technicians ruined the adjustment for you! The filter may help, we have one of those too, just for the kitchen water (an under-sink system reverse osmosis, that follows the whole-house softener) and it comes out of the tap so pure that we can put it directly into the fish tanks .

I'd be interested to know how this all works out for you...We no longer have skin splitting problems, any more, by the way - but every once in a while I forget to wear gloves in the garden, and just one soaking in our regular city water from the outside spigots, and my hands are ruined for a week! So I can relate...

Fran
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, I took the first shower this morning since all the softened water is out of the water heater, and where ever else it comes through. It's not going to work with just the water filter, it feels chalky from the extra calcium in the water, and it still makes my hair dull and flat. It's better than without the new filter though, because when we moved in here, and didn't have the filter, I would itch terrible, so it's removing some of the calcium. BUT! For the first time since they reset the softner, my skin does not burn, and I don't feel like a dried up, dirty prune! I don't itch right now either. It's funny, because the last time the water guy was here, he told me that the way it was set previous wasn't doing a darn thing! Well, apparently it was, because it felt really refreshing to shower the way it was previously set, and my hair didn't feel flat and yucky!

I think this time, I'm going to have Dave call them, and deal with them. The very sad thing, is that some men just don't take women seriously, and that's a terrible thing, especially seeing as this is almost 2009!

Heidi, we are buying salt from them, but it's fixed in the monthly cost of the softner, so you get charged for it no matter what.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Premier Cat

Geri, are you saying the bill is the same whether you use 60 pounds of salt or 150 pounds? Just guessing the weight.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Cat Addict

the type/brand of salt seems to make a difference as well, I typically use Morton SystemSaver which is more $$ than most, but if I use anything else I can notice the water getting harder, or is that not as soft?

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

John, I think they average it out, and give you a certain max, but it is fixed in. Good deal.........bad deal? Eh! If they'd just get it right, I wouldn't care at all! My monthly rental isn't bad at all..........wait..........if they'd just get it right, it wouldn't be that bad!

catnip, thanks for that tip, that's something I'm going to have hubby ask them about on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page