We're snowed in. How 'bout you? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We're snowed in. How 'bout you?

Beginning in the middle of the night between Friday and Saturday the snow started coming pretty steadily but it didn't amount to enough to start shutting things down until last night.

Services were cancelled for every single church in this town (there must be 30 of them) as well as may of the small outlying towns.

Part of me really enjoys these days where I'm stuck here because it makes me think of things to do that I probably wouldn't otherwise take the time. Today I'll be doing some baking with the kids. Ken is involved in a Survivor pool at work every Survivor season and his contestant got voted out a month or so ago already, so he's supposed to bring treats to work.

We'll also be playing lots of games with the kids - Candyland, bingo, dominoes, and a bunch of other fun ones.

Ken and the kids are giving Peanut a bath right now.

Thankfully, we haven't had any ice storms like the Northeast US has had so we still have electricity and everything. We ran out and got a few groceries on Friday night because we knew the snow was coming, so technically we could be snowed in here for a week and be fine. The snow is supposed to continue through the day, but at a much slower pace. However, the last night the weatherman said we "might" crack 0 (zero) degrees by Wednesday or Thursday, so that makes travel inadvisable. Wouldn't want to be stalled out there in subzero temps.

Ken already told me he may decide just to stay home from work with the kids tomorrow instead of taking them all the way across town to daycare. I just want to make sure they make it to preschool Tuesday and Thursday because their classroom Christmas party is Tuesday and their classroom Christmas program is Thursday. I sure hope my Dad can make it in to town for that, too. It's a 15-mile drive for him to get to town. He'd hate to miss the kids' first Christmas program.

Well, have fun and stay safe and warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: We're snowed in. How 'bout you?

well I hope you are not stuck in there too long.
I just cant imagin snow like that. I have never had a white christmas. And if we ever are lucky enough to get a bit of snow it is really only a very light covering.
Last time that we had enough snow to make a snowman...mine was only 3 inches tall
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Premier Cat

Brrrr! Keep it..........please! We haven't had ice storms thankfully, but yesterday it was in the mid 30's, and today, it was raining when I went out to feed. We lost alot of snow, and my horse pasture (which is on a hill btw), well, where the horses packed all the snow down is now all ice! Needless to say, the horses were fed inside today. I'm hoping we get snow, because tomorrow it's only supposed to get to 5 degrees, and whatever is mush right now, like the horse fence, and path to the barn, is going to be solid ice!

Stay safe everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Premier Cat

I feel bad for everyone with bad weather. Today we went up to the 50's, but it is getting windy and cloudy and rain then sleet is supposed to move in eventually. We are lucky that our weather tends to be better than most other areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Cool Cat

No snow, but after a high of near 50 early this morning, it's now 11 degrees out (wind chill of -9). It's supposed to hit -1 tonight with a high of 8 tomorrow.

I shall just remind myself how lucky I am to have a job. And how lucky I am I don't live in Winnipeg like one of my friends (it's -15 F with a windchill of -40 in Winnipeg.)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u

We got about 3" of snow today with more coming tomorrow. At least the mountains are getting slammed, they need it bad for the ski season. They are predicting more snow tomorrow and below freezing temps for the next 4-5 days.

Thank god Doc hasn't given me permission to drive or go back to work. I was going to try and go in tomorrow!! Not anymore, I'm staying home for at least another week or two or three
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I really don't mind this weather at all and we won't be snowed in for long. I'm sure people will be out and about going to work, etc., tomorrow. The snowplows have been doing a good job of keeping the major roads around town open today. The snow has slowed down quite a bit and the winds are starting to die down to.

One of our neighbors down the street, who has a very large snowblower, came by and cleaned the whole street's sidewalk and all our driveways! That was really nice.

The danger in this type of weather is the extremely cold temps. Like I was saying earlier, the weatherman said we "might" crack zero degrees by Thursday. Right now at 9:30 Central time it's 16.9 below zero and it's supposed to drop another 10 degrees or so in the middle of the night before climbing back up again.

I made chili for supper and I think I'll sit down to a cup of hot chocolate after the kids are in bed and Ken and I watch the Survivor Finale.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

amazing... according to this wind chill map
there is 100F difference between ND & NY
http://vortex.plymouth.edu/uschill.gif
as of 9:30am EST 12/15/08
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Premier Cat

It went from weather in the 30's yesterday, and rain, to it actually being just below zero here right now! It's only supposed to reach a high of 5 degrees today!

Stay safe all!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

OK, I'm officially bored now. Work is all caught up so I have nothing to do there right now, my home computer is on the fritz and it's too cold out to justify going out to McDonald's to get a large coffee (I like theirs better than making my own here).

I ended up not watching any Survivor last night but Ken watched last week's epi cause he missed it and watched the last episode up until they made the final vote. I saw the winner on the Internet this morning but I'm not supposed to tell Ken. Makes no difference to me. I didn't watch one episode of Survivor this season.

On a good note, The Vikings blew their game against the Arizona Cardinals yesterday. Apparently many people had been calling the game saying there was no way the Vikes would take it. Guess they were WRONG! Even better is that Green Bay isn't even doing good enough to get a wild card spot right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page