Anti-virus software.........BitDefender. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Anti-virus software.........BitDefender.

I know we've talked about antivirus before, but I wanted just to bring it up again because I'm in the process of trying a new antivirus software.

I've used Norton for the last 3 years, and even though it was brought up that Norton wasn't the best, I kept it installed because I wasn't to excited about going looking for something new. I'm not that computer savy, so it's a pain! My subscription was almost about to expire, so I just renewed it, and downloaded the new 2009 version. I had nothing but problems! It locked me up frequently while I was on-line for a couple minutes at a time, it would prevent me from being able to open up certain websites, and even though I had it set to do so, it wasn't running it's daily full system scans.

So I contacted Norton, and they said the software was being corrupt, and the only solution was to remove the program, and reinstall everytime it happened. That's insane! Why have it then if it's not going to protect?! So be very careful if you have Norton 2009! I just removed it, and am trying something else.

Has anyone tried BitDefender Internet Security 2009? I downloaded the trial version, but now sure what I think yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Cat Addict

Re: Anti-virus software.........BitDefender.

I haven't tried either of the above, although I do know Norton is very resource intense.

I use AVG - this is a free anti-virus and have never had any issues.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx

My husband uses it for all his clients and we have it on our computers. It works wonderful for us!!!! I recommend it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned

AVG

It's free and very good.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Cool Cat

I use avast myself. Seems to be a good program.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Cat Addict

My husband used to be on the Norton bandwagon for years until someone he works with told him about AVG. That's what we use here at home now and it's been great!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Even the free AVG? I've heard it's not up to par for computers with high speed dsl that are always on-line.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Cat Addict

Ours has been fine and my husband's computer is on almost all the time. I will say this, though... if you don't go through the quick virus pattern check that pops up automatically every time you turn your computer on, as well as do at least a weekly check of your hard drive, things can go wrong. That's what's wrong with my home computer right now. (I'm writing through my work computer).

I'm not a very patient person so a lot of times I don't wait for the scan to finish when I boot up. Often, I exit out of it. Plus, I have it set up to do a weekly scan of my hard drive but I forget to leave it on at that time usually (it's set up for late Friday nights when I should normally be off my home computer).

Anyway, as a result, my computer isn't functioning properly now.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

I personally don't use AVG anymore, because the uni allows me to download it's virus software. Sophos is VERY VERY powerful and very effective.

It has to be as it's the main uni virus checker.

It detects viruses even if they are buried in the "system restore" part of Windows.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
Ours has been fine and my husband's computer is on almost all the time. I will say this, though... if you don't go through the quick virus pattern check that pops up automatically every time you turn your computer on, as well as do at least a weekly check of your hard drive, things can go wrong. That's what's wrong with my home computer right now. (I'm writing through my work computer).

I'm not a very patient person so a lot of times I don't wait for the scan to finish when I boot up. Often, I exit out of it. Plus, I have it set up to do a weekly scan of my hard drive but I forget to leave it on at that time usually (it's set up for late Friday nights when I should normally be off my home computer).

Anyway, as a result, my computer isn't functioning properly now.

Hi Cat Addict Are you saying that now have a virus because the scan didn't run? Because just stopping the scan won't cause any issues to the pc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page