Great gift idea... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Great gift idea...

I live near a second-hand (used) bookstore. It's a Godsend. They have a huge bookstore cat. No idea what to give in these tough times? Looking for a gift that's meaningful,AND economical? Try books-rare titles,classics-conteporary lit -at a VERY reasonable price. This is what I buy for family and friends EVERY year. My sister likes classics,horror,and weird poets. Another sister likes the royals. An aunt likes Dr Phil. (she's cool,though.) I ace the wish list every year. Except for my dad who wants a new gas-powered weed whacker. But the bookstore bunch has connections,so he gets entertainment books,and C.D.s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Great gift idea...

Books are a wonderful gift. A gift certificate to a book store is wonderful, too, in case you're not sure of someone's taste or if they already have a certain book. One my favorite gifts ever was a collection of stories by James Herriot.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216

I love books! I could read anytime, all the time. It's so entertaining, and NEVER boring to me. That is a great gift idea!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to LadyNeko

I love books <3 I want to own a bookstore someday.

Get me a book for Christmas and I'll probably be happy.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Cool Cat

My grandma send me a bunch of books in the box with my Christmas packages And one of those packages is definiteily a hard bound book itself...I can't wait to find out what it is

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Books are a wonderful gift. A gift certificate to a book store is wonderful, too, in case you're not sure of someone's taste or if they already have a certain book. One my favorite gifts ever was a collection of stories by James Herriot.
All Creatures Great and Small (combination of If Only They Could Talk and It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet) was one of my favourite books as a kid
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
All Creatures Great and Small (combination of If Only They Could Talk and It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet) was one of my favourite books as a kid
All of the James Herriot books are wonderful! This thread is making me want to re-read them.
IMO a gift card to a bookstore is the best gift of all. Then you get to spend the time wandering through the bookstore plus you get to choose one (or more!) of those wonderful books!

Sue

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Premier Cat

If I want to relax I go to a bookstore!

We have a fabulous used book store called Bookmans. Big cat section too. You can bring your dog into Bookmans. Animal friendly. they have adoption events Ive heard also.

I just read the book Dewey the Library Cat. Very sweet account of a kitten who was put in the book drop then lived at the library its whole life. Wonderful read.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Cool Cat

That bookshop sounds great. We used to have a wonderful shop near us that did second hand books and records but its closed now. I blame e-bay
There's nothing like browsing round and choosing the books yourself - I much prefer that to on-line shopping.

There's still one or 2 second hand record shops in Brum though. As usual I bought Partner's birthday presents there (his bi'day being yesterday). I always end up getting him books and records for Xmas and his b'day which is a couple of daays before. This year I've got him 'Birdy' by William Wharton and 'The Enourmous Room' by e e cummings. Plus a Robert Johnson LP and a 'drum battle' LP with Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich
(Just noticed there's a bit of an American theme going on there! Just a coincidence, friends )

seashell
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to LadyNeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
I just read the book Dewey the Library Cat. Very sweet account of a kitten who was put in the book drop then lived at the library its whole life. Wonderful read.
I bought that for my grandma for Christmas! I'm glad it's good, hopefully she'll like it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page