It is possible to fix a minor scratch in an audio CD? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

It is possible to fix a minor scratch in an audio CD?

I found some older music of mine tonight that I haven't listen to in a while so I popped it in the player. The whole CD is fine until the last 2 tracks. It skipped off and on from the end of the 19th track to about halfway through the 20th. The skipping was never so harsh that it made the player completely quit, so is there a fix for this type of thing?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Cat Addict

Re: It is possible to fix a minor scratch in an audio CD?

my son has a device that is used to resurface discs, it looks like a small handheld player with a crank on it, I have no idea what its called.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Cool Cat

Some video stores offer cleaning, fixing & resurfacing for CD's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip
my son has a device that is used to resurface discs, it looks like a small handheld player with a crank on it, I have no idea what its called.
I just called Best Buy and they have them! It's called The Skip Doctor (figures ). Yay!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

It depends whether it's due to a scratch (yes) or a delamination (no). That's the dirty little secret of compact discs, which when they came out were expected to have an indefinite lifespan. But many older compact disks are delaminating, or the layers making up the disc are separating, and when that happens, they're done for. If I remember right, this problem first started cropping up about 15 years ago, so any discs older than that are suspect.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Kitten

I've had this problem to many times so I've come up with a solution.

When I purchase a cd I come home and burn it to my computer. Once the burning is compete ill burn it to a blank disk and put the original back in the case and into a place where i have all my originals.

If I loose or scratch the burned copy, i'll just burn another from the PC since the files are already there. I also store all my music on external hard drive with my movies and photos -- about 15,000 tracks too.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
It depends whether it's due to a scratch (yes) or a delamination (no). That's the dirty little secret of compact discs, which when they came out were expected to have an indefinite lifespan. But many older compact disks are delaminating, or the layers making up the disc are separating, and when that happens, they're done for. If I remember right, this problem first started cropping up about 15 years ago, so any discs older than that are suspect.
That's good to know, Tim. However, I don't believe delamination is the problem here. The CD I'm talking about is approximately 9 years old and it was last played about 4 years ago. Honestly, I think I scratched the darn thing last night as I was holding 2 CDs in my hand trying to find the cases they belong too; I remember one CD scraping the other.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

Sorry I did not reply earlier Jo, but if you have some liquid silver polish, you can use that. Simply rub the silver polish into the scratch radially. I fixed a CD for my father that way way back in 1985 based on an article from Stereo Review. Like the Skip Doctor tool, you are making a bunch of tiny scratches in lieu one one big one which the laser cannot penetrate.

Other solutions are clearcoat safe automotive polish and clearcoat safe rubbing compound. I used them for some smaller scratches with good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
Ya know what, Tim? My vinyl does not have that problem. Right this minute, I am listening to a 30+ year old vinyl record of Charley Pride's Christmas In My Home Town!!! And it sounds very good! Only clicking and popping is in the lead-in groove but by heavy duty vinyl cleaners will take that right away. The highs from cymbals, bells, piccolos, etc are still clean and crisp. CDs having better sound quality and longevity indeed...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

They sound better if you don't have the time, expertise or money to constantly be cleaning the crud out of the groove

Having said that, my dad has a great setup, and his records (LPs?) do sound amazing.

Now cassettes were a big waste of time and effort
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
They sound better if you don't have the time, expertise or money to constantly be cleaning the crud out of the groove
ONLY if you allow them to get dirty, Hugh. Take good care of them from the start and they will never get cruddy. This record will need a good cleaning since it sat unplayed for well over 20 years. But once cleaned, I have a carbon fibre bristle dry brush that brushes each side before play. I also have various stylus cleaners as well

Quote:
Having said that, my dad has a great setup, and his records (LPs?) do sound amazing.
I have always said analog still sounds the best if you have the proper equipment.

Quote:
Now cassettes were a big waste of time and effort
I would give that honor to the 8-track. But...remember open reel? I can still remember Hugh when the record clubs over here such as Columbia House still offered recordings on reel to reel format. In the 70s, I still remember some record stores selling open reel albums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page