Water dripping from my electrical box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Water dripping from my electrical box

I went down to check the basement because we have had some hard, driving rain today. We have one spot where we sometimes have a leak. I had always assumed that it was coming from the foundation wall, but today I found the water dripping from the corner of the electrical box . I opened it up to check the breakers and that part is dry. Guess what my hubby will be doing this afternoon when he comes home from work?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Water dripping from my electrical box

There's always something, isn't there. I hope hubby can get it taken care of, and that it's a pretty easy fix. Problems seem so monumentous around this time of the year, with the holiday, and everything else that's going on. They always seem to pop up when you least expect it. Good luck, I hope it's a simple fix!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Cat Addict

Not that I'm an expect on this issue by any means but just because the water was dripping from the electrical box doesn't necessarily mean that's where the source of the problem is. My totally uneducated guess is that there is a problem spot in the foundation and the water is following a crack or a line of some sort that just happens to end up at the electrical box.

Good luck with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'm hoping that it is something that I can just zap with my trusty caulk gun. If I were braver I would open up the electrical box and look, but I will freely admit that I am a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Premier Cat

Lea-Ann, what you call being chicken is just good sense. Don't open that box unless you really know what you're doing.
Getting zapped by electricity conducted through water is no fun, and can be deadly.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterkat
Lea-Ann, what you call being chicken is just good sense. Don't open that box unless you really know what you're doing.
Getting zapped by electricity conducted through water is no fun, and can be deadly.
I fully agree. Sure you can throw the mains, but the line before the mains is still energized. If your electric meter is like mine, you can kill all power before it even enters the house. The entire assembly with all the dials, etc is one big plug. After throwing the mains, I would just unscrew the cover plate and pull out the meter assembly. Now your breaker box is totally dead and thus safe to open. When you are done, you merely plug the meter assembly back into the meter box, replace the cover plate, and then turn your mains back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page