Longing for a nostalgic Christmas... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Longing for a nostalgic Christmas...

I still plan to have lots of fun this year, mainly through the eyes of my kids, but I sometimes miss the Christmases I'm used to as a kid.

I know I've mentioned it here before but both my Mom's and Dad's siblings (most of his) are right here all within 20 minutes of each other and my Dad comes from a big family (10 kids) so I have dozens of cousins right around here.

The Christmases that I remember were of kids ages infant to teenage running everywhere as Christmas Day we usually spent at my Dad's sister's house with as many of my aunts, uncles and cousins as I could remember. It was so much fun because I have at least 8 cousins with 5 years of my age!

Now that all of my generation has grown up a lot of them have moved away from the area and most have their own little families now with spouses and 2 or more kids. Ken's mom just passed away this past April, my folks are divorced and I have only one brother and a one nephew. I just spoke with my brother this afternoon to see if he and his girlfriend will be coming over to our house tomorrow night and he's not sure as her sister and brother-in-law have come up from New Mexico to spend Christmas and his girlfriend has to work on Christmas Day from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.

So tomorrow my Dad will be coming in to town to attend Christmas Eve service with us while my Mom has to play piano at her own church but then they're both going to come over to our house afterward to do the family gift exchange have some appetizers. On Christmas Day, Ken's cousin and her son are coming in from out of town to have Christmas dinner with us and that's about it. I still haven't found out if my nephew will be coming over to spend Christmas Eve with us either. In that sticky situation of a family he lives in, his Mom has to juggle tons of people for her kids to spend holidays with.

It just feels so much different from when I was a kid and it's sad actually. I miss the "Big Family" feeling and almost wish I could adopt a family for a day just to have more people around the house for Christmas.

How do you all plan to spend Christmas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Banned

Re: Longing for a nostalgic Christmas...

Doing what we always do. Eating too much, drinking just enough, laughing at my mother being drunk at 11am from the 1 sherry, and explain to a load of foreign guests all the weird British Christmas customs.
This time it's a family from South Africa (4), a family from the Philipines (2), two Chinese students, and us (3). So that's.... 11. Woo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page