Is the suing culture in the USA really this bad? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Is the suing culture in the USA really this bad?

I watched a program the other day, a car program. They travelled to the USA, bought a car and had some competitions with them. At the end up it they finished up in Louisiana with the aim of selling the cars and the one who made the biggest profit won. Well at the time of recording it was only a year later from Katrina and they didn't realise things would be so bad still so they decided to give the cars away. They found a Christian charity and 2 families who needed the cars (the 3rd car was no good to even give away). Anyway, long story short they told the charity the wrong year of one of the cars, they said it was 1991 when it was 1989. A lawyer appeared and informed them of this and that unless they paid compensation for the wrong information they will be suing them. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

As it happened they didn't get sued because a gang appeared and told them that where they were was their street and they better get off it, so they left. But is this "charity" for real? Is it that bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Re: Is the suing culture in the USA really this bad?

using the Threat of a Lawsuit is more common in USA than most places probably because of all the TV shows and Movies portraying the legal process as being quick cheap easy with the little guy always winning, and collecting on their judgment. it's sort of like a modern version of the Wild West Cowboy Movie, where people solved their differences at the end of a shot gun. of course, nothing on TV could be further from the truth.

In the real world "People Always Hate Lawyers Until They Need One" is more appropriate, and most lawsuits are never pursued after the first continuance hits, and claimants sober up about the cost and time required to pursue what may ultimately be fruitless. no charity would actually sue as the legal costs and chance of collecting the remedy is slim to none. but everyone loves to swagger into a situation and threaten a lawsuit. at least it's safer then people trying to get even by pulling a gun on you
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Cat Addict

People will try to sue over anything, but thankfully it doesn't mean they'd win.
You might want to check out this website for a few good laughs: http://www.the-injury-lawyer-directo..._lawsuits.html

There's an interesting bit about the McDonalds coffee incident at the bottom of the page too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Premier Cat

Id say yes it is that bad in the US. My banker told me shes never seen such dishonesty leveled even towards the most honest people who were not at any fault but people were looking to get away with not paying by being unreasonable and starting lawsuits.

Im not sure when decency and honesty left in the US. The tv new is full of greed being uncovered. Not the way I was raised in the Midwest. But that was back in the dark ages! Your word meant something. As well as your work ethic. Boy, I sound like a grouchy old person.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalensia
I watched a program the other day, a car program. They travelled to the USA, bought a car and had some competitions with them. At the end up it they finished up in Louisiana with the aim of selling the cars and the one who made the biggest profit won. Well at the time of recording it was only a year later from Katrina and they didn't realise things would be so bad still so they decided to give the cars away. They found a Christian charity and 2 families who needed the cars (the 3rd car was no good to even give away). Anyway, long story short they told the charity the wrong year of one of the cars, they said it was 1991 when it was 1989. A lawyer appeared and informed them of this and that unless they paid compensation for the wrong information they will be suing them. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

As it happened they didn't get sued because a gang appeared and told them that where they were was their street and they better get off it, so they left. But is this "charity" for real? Is it that bad?
hahahahaha

Bloomin brilliant episode though.

The redneck nutters were a bit scary though!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
hahahahaha

Bloomin brilliant episode though.

The redneck nutters were a bit scary though!
You're right, I was on the edge of my seat for them! Awsome episode!

I'll check out that website, I remember hearing about the McDonalds one before. It is such a shame people are out there to at least try it.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Cat

I wasted several minutes reading this silly thread, and will consequently sue this web site for my lost time.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Banned

I'm going to sue you for hurting the feelings of someone I don't know.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Premier Cat

Huge the redneck nutters, as you call them, are alive and well in this country! But were a free country sooo.. whatja gona do! They ususally settle disputes with a gun though and carry their guns around, in the window gun rack, of their pickup truck.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Banned

That's exactly it. It's NOT a free country if people like that are trying to stop things they don't like.
The presenters weren't doing a THING that could possibly enrage anyone who wasn't a blithering idiot. One of them had NASCAR inhales written on his car, another said "Hilary for president (it was well before the nominations), and the other one said on it "gay lover". None of those things are offensive to smart people.

It really really gets up my nose when I see the sorts of people who object to all sorts of normal behaviours and then try and claim they're for "freedom".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page